SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohiojay

Irony

ohiojay
16 years ago

I have experienced the big bad, king of irony today. It could probably be used as an example in all texts from this day forth.

I'm trying to grow some pawpaws. One died this summer and the replacement will be here in the early spring. I thought that I would go ahead and prepare the hole a little better this time and in advance. Dug it wider and much much deeper. Replaced all the soil, which was mostly wet clay by the way, and backfilled with spag peat and good soil. 10 large bags and will need more once the tree is here.

This pretty much took all afternoon with the shovel and many trips with the wheelbarrow. Take a trip to the near-by Home Depot for my soil needs and zipped right back home. I'm beat, my back hurts, and I'm in a hurry. Too tired to lug the bags of peat and soil to the hole so I back the truck up to the hole.

Damn! Whats that noise? Oh...must have hit the shovel or another tool out there. Better pull up to see. Nope, not my shovel, not my wheelbarrow, nor any other tool. Not that fortunate. No...I ran over my existing, well-established, freaking pawpaw! Broke over two feet off of it! The only saving grace in this ohhh so brilliant move was that it at least broke off well above the graft.

Now if that isn't irony, then I don't know what is.

Comments (2)