SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raisemybeds

Somebody gave me a Great White in sad shape

raisemybeds
15 years ago

One of my area freecyclers who came by to pick up heirloom extras from me left behind a Great White that a friend had started for him. I have never grown a white tomato, actually, but always meant to try, so I figured I would find a spot for it somewhere. Problem is, it was not properly started and is one of those 2 foot tall leggy nightmares presented in a too-tiny pot and was swaying in the breeze ready to snap when I discovered it. Immediately, and I mean that instant, I removed all the lower leaves and "plunge-planted" this poor thing in a very deep temporary pot full of moist compost. Now, by this time, I know what I'm doing with tomato seedlings. I get my own started such that they are stocky, hardy, and 6" to 8" tall by planting time. But with this Great White being in such straits, I don't know if its worth the trouble or garden space, or whether this much neglect can be overcome this late in the game. What is the best outcome any of you have seen patching up a similarly stricken plant?

Comments (4)