SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kterlep

Advice please: herbicide damage (possibly 2,4-D?)

kterlep
14 years ago

So, tomorrow is my plant out day.

About 2 weeks ago, my (80+) heirloom indeterminate seedlings started to show signs of 2,4-D damage (we have no idea where the drift came from but it's been very windy).

There seems to be a spectrum of damage, from just "shrinky dink" damage: thickened and much smaller than the leaves which the plant had already put on before, to the same plus some warping, to something that looks like curly-top virus (which isn't possible because they were on a balcony 20 feet up.)

The thing is, they ARE putting on new foliage at a good rate (it's just funny looking) and a couple of them are even putting on tiny bud clusters, although I can't tell if they are warpy bud clusters or normal ones at this stage.

Everything I've read says "they'll grow out of herbicide damage". These seedlings are big, 12"-15", busting out of their 20 oz drink cups, waiting to get planted!

But how long will it take for them to grow out of it? My problem is, it will probably be too late to get replacements by the time I know whether these guys won't make it. What do I do? I can't have NO tomatoes! What if they don't grow out of it?? What if they make warpy yucky tomatoes?

Is the Shrinky-Dink damage(just thick and shrunk but sorta normal looking) less bad than the curly-top damage(looks like a curly fern)?

Should I get replacements and keep them on the sideline?

This just makes me SICK.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting