SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ragtimegal

Container vs in-ground plants

ragtimegal
14 years ago

I have a question regarding in-ground plants, but first will give you a little background..

I have several tomato plants in containers. 18 gallon containers, one plant in each one, growing in a 5:1:1 ratio of pine bark fines, perlite, and peat moss. They are very happy!!

On the contrary, I have four plants that I planted in the ground. Bed was my own garden soil amended with bagged compost and MG Potting Soil. They are covered with a layer of bark mulch. Those plants are not performing well. I planted them out 1 week before the container plants, and the container plants are growing and happy, and the in-ground plants seem to be stagnant, just now showing a little bit of new growth on the top. There are worms in the soil now, though I am thinking that it could have used more organic matter to start with.

I would like to plant more in the ground, though I am concerned about the difference in performance that I am seeing.

Can anyone recommend the best soil prep to get happy tomato plants grown in the ground?

Thanks!

Comments (6)