SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tripod_gw

How to deal with BER when using S.W.C (earthtainers)

tripod
14 years ago

So, I after a few very productive months for both my in-ground gardens and SWCs, I happened to lift a tomato leaf yesterday to inspect the newest additions to the Cherokee Purple crop and noticed three young toms half covered with BER. I had already noticed extensive BER with the Olpaka tomatoes (about 75%) since the first fruit appeared in April, but the CP surprised me. After inspecting the other plants, I also found some Kellog's Breakfast with BER as well.

It only took a few seconds of pondering the problem to produce on of those spontaneous "D'OH!" moments. With extreme consternation I realized that when filling and fertilizing all 12 of my SWCs back at the beginning of April, I had forgotten to add domolite to the potting mix. Now, I have beautiful, lush plants setting fruit by the day and dreaded BER rearing its ugly head.

Since I can't very well add domolite to the SWC at this point, is there a way to provide calcium to the tomato plants via the water reservoir or through foliar feeding? Has anyone been successful in eliminating BER once it starts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steven

Comments (14)