SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
atourgates

A Tale Of Two Beds - AKA, Why Aren't My Tomatoes Setting?

atourgates
14 years ago

I have two beds in my garden, created within a few months of each other, using the same soil. Both this year and last year I've planted the bed to the north with generic "Whatever Lowes Had That Day" tomatoes, and they've produced wonderfully. However, last year I planted all my beautiful herloom tomatoes in the bed to the south, and they grew beautiful plants but hardly produced any tomatoes.

Now, I'm concerned that it might be happening again this year.

From Graduation & Tomatoes

In the bed to the north (on the right in the photo above), my casually bought Lowes plants are going gangbusters - between the 3 of them they've probably set 20 fruits. Meanwhile, my hard won TomatoMania fancy heirloom varieties that were only planted 3 weeks later have, between the 8 of them, set one fruit.

So, what's going on?

Both beds are watered with drip irrigation on the same schedule, both are fertilized at the same time with the same stuff. Both get the same amount of sunlight. What am I missing?

I didn't keep records of the varieties I planted, but I was able to pull up the ID stakes and ID some plants - perhaps that will help a diagnosis?

The North (prolific) bed.

From A Tale of Two Tomatoes

This bed contains:

• A Big Beef Tomato - This is the one that's going gangbusters.

Two Unidentified Tomatoes The indeterminate(?) is going crazy, and the determinate(?) bush variety is doing well.

The South (Problematic) Bed

This Bed Contains:

• A Yellow Brandywine

A Black Giant

A Pineapple Heirloom

A Pomodoro Costoluto

4 Other Plants with tags that have been lost.

So, any suggestions? Hypothesises? Am I just worrying too much? The plants in the south bed seem to have blooms (and have for several weeks), they're just not turning into furit. I've tried shaking / flicking them to help with pollination, but no luck.

I'm in Inland Southern California, USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 18.

Thanks for the help!

What would you suggest I try next?

Comments (4)