SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fruitnut_gw

Why aren't you interested in protected fruit culture?

There are hundreds of posts each year about all the pest and weather problems associated with growing fruit. I've been posting five years now about how well my greenhouse works to solve most of those issues. Right now I'm harvesting multiple varieties of sweet cherries, apricots, blueberries, nectarines, and pluot of very high quality. I've only needed 3 or 4 sprays of Safer soap and one dormant oil for complete pest control. Zero weather losses in 5 years.

This would work in one form or another across much of the US. Cost to own a greenhouse of about 1000-1200 sq ft would be about like a small new car depending on how much you build yourself. Operating costs are much less than a car and mine is built to last twice as long. A high tunnel would cost much less. My buddy in Alpine who can see the results would give his eye teeth to have a greenhouse like mine but can't afford it.

I have an outdoor orchard as well. But about all it's good for is exercise. I've grown 100s of times more good fruit inside compared to out. And I've spent ~$2,000 on my outdoor setup. So why isn't there more interest in protected culture?

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County