SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cakefarm

Love Apple Fish Heads and Stakes.

cakefarm
12 years ago

Hi all. I'm a long-time lurker, first time poster. I have been growing my veggies from seed and organic gardening for years and, though it's been a long-time-coming (and has cost a small fortune), I think the North Carolina soil in my veggie beds is just about ready to grow the perfect tomatoes this season.

So I was obsessively researching homemade tomato fertilizer recipes when I came across Love Apple Farms' recipe which starts with a fish head in the bottom of a deep planting hole.

Huh?

Has anyone tried this? How'd it work for you? We have a great fish shop near us and I'm certain Mr. Earp would be more than willing to work out a deal for fish guts / heads / spines. Short of fish-parts, any recommendations for the planting hole? In my potting shed, I have worm castings, greensand, bone meal, blood meal, kelp meal etc., and I keep chickens so I have lots of bedding and egg shells. My soil is loamy, slightly acidic and is generally balanced in terms of minerals and nutrients.

Next question: staking. I have always used cages but might just switch to that post and twine staking method most of the large-scale tomato producers use. Not because I want hundreds of tomato plants but because my tomatoes always outgrow their cages (4 ft tall). Have you used this method of staking? What are the pros? The cons?

Thanks all! Let me know if you need any supplemental info.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm