SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seysonn

Pruning Revisited . Pros and Cons.

seysonn
10 years ago

The following is just my views on pruning. No more, no less.
------------------------------------------------------------------
It is that time of the year that the question comes up more often. So it is good to have a discussion going, without getting exited or personal.

Is pruning REQUIRE ? My answer : Of course not.

Is "NOT pruning" REQUIRED ? I don't think so.

COMMERCIAL GROWERS pracice:

They have an objective , to make money. That includes cutting costs. A commercial grower cannot afford to attend every single plant every so often to prune. It takes a lot of man hour and time. Because pruning is not a ONE TIME task. So they rather leave the plant alone. They plant them with ample spacing as the farm land is not a scarce resource for them, but labor is.
But commercial growers in greenhouse environment operate differently. Here per square foot investment and operating costs are much much higher than in the field. That is why they have figured it out that planting in smaller spacing and pruning is economically and more profitable.

BIGGER PLANT MORE PRODUCTION ?
Te argument that bigger foliage results in more production (per sqr-ft) IMO,is not proven correct. There is a minimum requirement for foliage to provide plant's need for photosynthesis to produce fruits. Then by the same argument there should be a maximum, beyond which additional foliage not only make no contribution but it becomes a burden on the plant.

TIMING:
Timing is another reason/factor to decide to prune or not; Say, it takes 40 days from flower to ripe fruit in normal mid season conditions. Now suppose we are heading to a cool end of the season even nearing FIRST FROST DATE. If in the middle of summer it took 40 days from flower to ripe fruit, it will probably take much longer later, maybe 50 days. Why should one be growing suckers/new growth when there is just 60 days or less left to the end of season ? It is totally wasteful and burden on the plant, I believe.

Comments (6)