SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantslayer

Newly planted out tomatoes have pale leaves?

plantslayer
15 years ago

So I transplanted some tomatoes in the ground last Sunday under a tunnel cloche- it's rather early for my area, but I wanted to take a shot at using a cloche to extend my season. Nights have gotten to around mid to low 40s, although I think that the cloche keeps them at least a few degrees warmer than the outside temps, as well as keeping the ground warm. During the day I believe they have had plenty of warmth (60*+ F) in the tent.

SO I checked on the tomatoes today, and their foliage is very pale. They don't otherwise seem to be suffering too badly thoug: The main stem and branches have purpled a bit, but I checked under the leaves and the their undersides are NOT turning purple, thankfully. Also, I don't see heavy drooping or serious necrosis in the leaves.

When I transplanted the tomatoes I gave them half a gallon of water each, and ground under the cloche is still pretty damp down to several inches, so I did not water them again today. They also got a couple of cups of of powdered organic 7-4-9 organic fertilizer.

So I was wondering- are the leaves yellowing because the plant is simply shocked from transplant (it's only been five days)? Are they just cold? Could they be not getting enough sun under the tent (it has been cloudy a couple of days)? Could they be too damp, or too dry? Maybe they weren't hardened enough before planting? Another thing- the cloche was not very well ventilated until I cut a couple of small flaps into it today, so maybe poor air circulation or reduced sunlight (caused by fogging) hurt them? Luckily, I am pretty sure they did not catch any diseases in the humidity.

Perhaps anyone who has planted tomatoes out like this in somewhat cool conditions can tell me if this is something to worry about... Thanks!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!