SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacob13_gw

Yard Update - New Pictures

jacob13
13 years ago

Hello All,

I just thought that I would share what has been going on in the yard and some new stuff that I have got. Hope you enjoy.

"Black Pearl" Wax Jambu Fruiting

{{gwi:1327838}}">

{{gwi:1327842}}">

Updated "Tabouey x J-30" Jakfruit Trees - About 3' Feet tall. I Still have a Few Available for trade

{{gwi:1327844}}">

{{gwi:1327847}}">

"San Pablo" Red Custard Apple

{{gwi:1327848}}">

{{gwi:1327849}}">

Wampee Tree

{{gwi:1327852}}">

{{gwi:1327854}}">

"Sweetheart" Lychee Tree Fruiting

{{gwi:1327856}}">

{{gwi:1327857}}">

{{gwi:1327858}}">

{{gwi:1327859}}">

{{gwi:1327860}}">

{{gwi:1327861}}">

"Genova Red" Ilama Flowering and Fruiting

{{gwi:1327862}}">

{{gwi:1327863}}">

{{gwi:1327865}}">

"Prolific" Sapodilla Flowering and Fruiting, About 100 Flowers

{{gwi:1327867}}">

{{gwi:1327871}}">

{{gwi:1327873}}">

Purple Caimito

{{gwi:1327876}}">

{{gwi:1327878}}">

"Violette de Bordeaux" Fig Tree Fruiting

{{gwi:1327880}}">

{{gwi:1327882}}">

Barbados Cherry

{{gwi:1327883}}">

{{gwi:1327884}}">

Abiu - Finally Recovering from Last Winter's Damage

{{gwi:1327885}}">

{{gwi:1327886}}">

Rollinia

{{gwi:1327887}}">

{{gwi:1327888}}">

Strawberry Tree (Mutingia Calabura)- Loaded with Tons of Small Green Fruit waiting to Turn Red

{{gwi:1327889}}">

Grumichama Cherry - About 6' Feet Tall and Starting to Fill back out.

{{gwi:1327890}}">

{{gwi:1327891}}">

"Mexicola Grande" Avocado tree

{{gwi:1327892}}">

Jaboticaba tree

{{gwi:1327893}}">

Sugar Apple Seedling Starting to Branch Out

{{gwi:1327894}}">

Pacay/Ice Cream Bean tree

{{gwi:1327895}}">

Mamoncillo / Spanish Lime Tree

{{gwi:1327896}}">

"Mauritius" Lychee Tree

{{gwi:1327897}}">

Rose Apple

{{gwi:1327898}}">

"Thai Noi" (I Think) Sugar Apple Tree

{{gwi:1327899}}">

Cabelluda / Yellow Jaboticaba

{{gwi:1327900}}">

Ice Cream Bean Seedlings - I have plenty to Trade

{{gwi:1327901}}">

Goji Berry

{{gwi:1327903}}">

Rambutan tree

{{gwi:1327905}}">

"Vermillion" Surinam Cherry

{{gwi:1327907}}">

"Brewster" Lychee Tree

{{gwi:1327908}}">

Red Malay Apple

{{gwi:1327913}}">

Green Sapote - Growing Very Quickly

{{gwi:1327914}}">

"Biew Kiew" Longan Tree

{{gwi:1327915}}">

{{gwi:1317233}}">

{{gwi:1327916}}">

Pepino Melon - Fruiting Very Nicely

{{gwi:1327917}}">

"Whites" Cherimoya - About 5 Fruit on the tree

{{gwi:1327918}}">

"Giant Florida Purple" Surinam Cherry

{{gwi:1327919}}">

Dragon Fruit

{{gwi:1327920}}">

Strawberry Guava

{{gwi:1327921}}">

"Fuyu" Persimmon

{{gwi:1327923}}">

"Lapins" Cherry

{{gwi:1327925}}">

"Moro" Blood Orange Tree

{{gwi:1327926}}">

"Satsuma" Tangerine

{{gwi:1327927}}">

"Bearrs" Lime Tree

{{gwi:1327928}}">

"Saludo" Canistel tree

{{gwi:1327929}}">

{{gwi:1327930}}">

Bacupari

{{gwi:1327931}}">

Greenhouse Happenings

{{gwi:1327932}}">

{{gwi:1327933}}">

Thanks for letting me share my pictures. Everything has been growing fantastically. I have a Marang, Pedelai, "Pickering" Mango, and Pulasan on the Way. There were plenty that did not make the cut, but I will post more of the trees that did not make it into this update in a couple of days.

Hope you enjoyed!

- Jacob

Comments (41)

• ohiojay
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing. Where are you located? The purple caimito is a very handsome plant. Reminds me of a durian. Fig looks nice. Have you tried the fruit yet? I was very impressed with my first experience with the abui. So where do you get your plants and seeds from? You said you had some new ones coming in. Thanks

• mango_nut
    13 years ago

Great pictures. What a diverse set of trees and plants! Your family and friends probably think your crazy. No worries, you can find solace here... Thanks for sharing. Ray

• Related Discussions

Front yard updating - I'm new at this...

Q

Comments (10)
    Hello, You have such a beautiful home! I dug up my entire yard last year to turn the entire yard into a garden. Have you given thought to the style you prefer? Formal? Xeric? I've done a ton of research and would love to not only help with ideas, but to see the progress! Have you thought of window boxes in front to soften the look? Geraniums and marigolds with sweet potato vine, etc. would give a flowing effect and color that would be easily seen from the street. I strongly recommend against keeping dandelions. They are weeds and aside from your neighbors consternation, I'm sure you'd end up regretting. I've put echinacea (just ordered some more, as they come in so many colors now. I've also started some from seed that are coming along. They take about 28 days to germinate). I have purple, white swan, tomato soup, tiki torch and more, mixed with shasta daisies, various colored rudebekia, liatris, mini roses, various penstemon, red, blue and purple salvia. These are all perennial, so I just divide every few years. Daylillies are an easy addition. They come in many colors and textures, are tough, grow in pretty much any soil, and are low maintenance. They are easy to divide and flower the first year. You can buy them bare root, which is cheaper than buying the plants themselves. I've ordered from new websites this year, along with those I've trusted over the years. Once they arrive, I'd be happy to share my experiences. The cheapest I've found is bulbsdirect.com, which are shipping from Holland. They should arrive this week. I'll watch for your post! Good luck!
    ...See More

new pictures of yard

Q

Comments (13)
    David, I always enjoy the pictures of your garden. I should comment more on the gardens shown here as there are many impressive gardens and plants pictured on the web but I usually spend just a few minutes surfing the web at any time. Since I retired I have even less time than before. You have obviously put a lot of work into your landscape because it shows. Your recent project involving your walnut walk is a very unique addition to an already fine garden. Bob
    ...See More

Yard Update 2/6/10

Q

Comments (30)
    Harry and Jsvand, I found my Pickering mango. I called at least 10-12 nurseries within 70 miles radius and no one had it except Crowley's nursery in Sarasota(thanks Jb_fla) for letting me know they had them. I decided to pot this one up, with all the cold snaps we've been getting lately, I didn't want another one to cover/heat...I'll just drag it in the garage, since its a dwarf. It was in a 7 gal.but when I removed it to repot to a different pot...the roots were closer to a 5 gal. Wasn't as big as I would have liked and spent more than I wanted to but overall was pleased with the size considering no one had them at all in my area. I didn't want to wait till summer to get one, I'm very impatient once I decide on something,lol... Jsvand, if you don't mind I would love to see a picture of yours...thanks! BTW, when I was there she showed me a picture of a guy in Miami that grows one(Pickering) the tree is 10 years old, the guy standing next to the tree(holding fruits) was 6ft. 4" tall and the 10 year old tree came to about his shoulder...Wide but short...this is my kind of Dwarf tree! I think this would make an excellent container mango.
    ...See More

New House Exterior - Update with Pictures!

Q

Comments (36)
    Okay here's the comparison from the older colors to what it looks like now. Remember, this job wasn't so much about changing the house color per se, it was really about replacing the old Masonite with new James Hardie fiber cement siding. However, new black shutters and new paint on the door were simple fixes to change things up to give it an updated look. Sure wish I could normalize the colors on both pics so the new one doesn't look so yellow and the older one doesn't look too blue. Oh well. You get the idea. June 2007: June 2009
    ...See More
  • red_sea_me
    13 years ago

Very nice collection Jacob, need to get over there to see it in person (some day). Where did you get your wampee from?

thanks for posting,
    -Ethan

• jun_
    13 years ago

that was great eye candy. What kind of dragon fruit do you have?

Where did you get the sapodilla "Prolific"? I dont think i've heard of that one.

• lycheeluva
    13 years ago

eh- only about 100 tress. bid deal.

i kid of course. awesome collection. hope the sweetheart holds some fruit for you.

• jacob13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello Friends,

It has been a while but nice to be back.

Jay - I am located in Santa Barbara, CA. I haven't tasted the Fig but I am very excited. Everything I have read and heard is totally Positive. It is suppose to be one of the best tasting Figs. I am so anxious to tast an Abui. I have ordered another tree because I can't wait for this one to rebound. When I transplanted the Purple Caimito tree, it was very unhappy and dropped almost all of its leaves. It is just started to make it's come back. Any idea how much longer till Fruit? I get my stuff from all over the place. One place I get stuff from that I never hear anyone talk about is a Nursey called Gaiayoga Nursery in Hawaii. You should check it out. Great Prices too. That is where some new stuff is coming from. And of course Plantogram - Awesome Nursery. Exotica Nursery in Vista, California

Mango Nut / Ray - Yes, Friends think I am crazy but family is right there with me. Thanks for the Compassion......I know you guys will understand my obsession.

Ethan - I got the Wampee at Mimosa in LA. They are having a 50% or 30% off everything in Stock. I got the Wampee for $20 and it is super nice. They had like 5 left.

Jun - I got the "Prolific" Sapodilla from a Nursery in Puerto Rico, The used to be online as Tropical Palms and Fruit Trees. But they shut that site down about a year ago and were suppose to re-launch as Carribean Nursery or something like that. Not sure but it has not re-launched yet. I got it about 1.5 years ago.

Lycheeluva - I am keeping my fingers crossed. Any suggestions to keep them from falling. Any Ideas?

Thanks Everyone

- Jacob

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Amazing collection. Is your Malay Apple grafted? I managed to kill a beautiful one that I bought from Excalibur in about 2 days due to repotting it.

• jacob13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello

Jsvand - Yes, the Malay Apple is Grafted. If you look closely, you will see where it starts to bend on the trunk about a 1/4 of the way up, is the Graft Union. I too almost killed this plant when I re-potted. It dropped almost all of its leaves except for the few haggard looking ones that hung on. I stuck it in the Greenhouse and it is bouncing back nicely with new leaves at the top and now much lower on the main truck. I will update the pictures soon and you will see its progress. Keeping my fingers crossed..........

• nullzero
    13 years ago

Jacob,

Very nice collection (Eye candy pictures for fruit tree freaks like me and others in the forum.), I have a similar line up of trees all in containers(not as many tropicals though). I still need to do some trades with you. I have 3 varieties of dragon fruit that I can give you as cuttings if your interested.

Have you tried any of the fruit from your named Surinam cherry varieties? I have a Surinam cherry grown from seed, however I have not tried the fruit. What future varieties and types of fruit trees are you looking to obtain soon?

I am on the look out for Silas Woods Sapodilla (heard its great in containers and gives a great yield) and waiting on getting another good condo mango variety (Fairchild, Pickering, or Nam Doc Ma). I also have Sri Kembangan Star Fruit and Kohala Longan on my wanted list.

• jacob13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nullzero,

Thank you so much for the Compliments. I am a bit out of control and know you guys are the only ones that understand. All of my trees are in containers as well. I don't have anything in the ground because it is too much of a commitment and I get scared..lol.

As for the Surninam. I have a Giant Florida Purple, a Zill's Black, a Vermillion, and a couple of unamed red varieties. Unfortunately none of them have fruited. The Zill's is still really small. The Vermillion and and Red Varieties probably have 1 or 2 years to go. I hoping that my Florida Purple will Fruit very soon....keeping my fingers crossed.

I just recently lost my Rambutan tree. I staked it for support and I think I spiked the root ball and it killed it. So I am definitely on the lookout for another.

Right now, I am also awaiting a Pulasan, Marang, Pedalai, and another Abiu that I have already ordered and am hoping will arrive soon.

I too am wanting a Kohala Longan. I just recently purchased a Biew Kiew but it is only about 4 feet tall. I want to buy a larger one so as not to have to wait as long for fruit.

What do I have that you are interested in? What varieties of Dragon Fruit do you have. I love Dragon Fruit, at least the better tasting, sweet varieties.

- Jacob

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Wow! You sure do have a very decidedly impressive collection of tropical fruits! Yep, a very addictive hobby too, especially with all the enablers here...lol
    Where are you getting your Pulasan, Marang and Pedalai from?
    Bo

• jacob13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yaslan,

Thanks for the Compliment. I am getting my Pulasan and Marang from Gaia Yoga Nursery in Hawaii. The Link is Below. You can't order Directly off the Webpage but it has the availability and Price List. The Owner is a Guy named Ano. Very nice Guy and he has a lot of neat stuff at good prices. Call or E-Mail him to Order. The Shipping costs aren't crazy either like at some other Nurseries, he is very reasonable. He is pretty good about getting right back to you.

I am getting my Pedelai from Steve Starnes. He used to Own Pacific Tropical Gardens. He now runs Hawaiian Tropical Plant Nursery LLC. Here is the Link: http://www.store.hawaiiantropicalplants.com/

Check them both out, you just might find something you were looking for.

Thanks,

Jacob

Here is a link that might be useful: Gaia Yoga Nursery

• nullzero
    13 years ago

Jacob,

I sent you an email. Btw, great choice on the Pulasan! I would be very interested to know if it can fruit in a greenhouse where you are located. I keep hearing the fruit of the Pulasan is the best compared to the Lychee and Rambutan.

Also don't feel bad about your fruit addiction, you me and the rest of us on these forums are going to eat like a kings once things do go into full swing production (lets all hope they do!). No need for processed sugary deserts, when we have a backyard filled with the tastiest deserts as nature intended (not to mention the great health benefits associated with eating the fruits).

Are you growing any exotic or tropical vegetables? I recently obtained Yacon and Oca plants, which I intend to grow every year. I want to obtain some Maca seeds soon. I hear Maca root will actually grow in California, if started in the early fall and grown over the winter and spring.

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Where did you get your grafted Malay apple? I am looking to replace the one that I killed, but I'd rather not drive all the way down to excalibur again.

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Thanks for the link Jacob! If I lived in CA I'd definitely put in an order ASAP but will have to wait til next year. I've read that the Pulasan is better than lychee! I definitely need to get my hands on this fruit and the marang too! I can't wait to see pics of your new plant purchases.
    Bo

• lycheeluva
    13 years ago

Jacob- my sweetheart dropped all its little fruitlets- i think because the tree was not big enough to support the fruit. it was about the same size as yours so dont be too gutted if yours dont make it this year.

• jacob13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lycheeluva,

That is what I am fearful of. I have never had any fruit hang on until the end. Any Suggestions? More Water, Less Water, Certain Fertilizers?

Hey Harry, Any Suggestions?

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Since I don't grow/fruit lychees in a pot, I am not sure if I am the right person to ask. That being said, my opinion, for the little it is worth, would be that dehydration would be the most likely cause of fruit drop. I have seen my trees drop larger amounts of fruitlets when we have very warm dry conditions. It is my understanding that lychees grow along river banks in their native Southern China. So, I am assuming that they prefer a very steady supply of water. of course that has to be balanced as against potential root rot, which is the nemesis of container growing. A good course soil mix that doesn't break down easily and daily heavy watering would be my plan of action.....again, for what its worth. Good luck.

Harry

• ajaysr5
    13 years ago

Jacob13,I have a 3 foot Emperor Lychee some little fruitlets will dropped on there own but you should be able to get some fruits.I water mine on a very hot day they like to be watered at least 3X a week.here is a few pics on the development of my emperor lychee.
    Taken 4-13-10

Taken 6-29-10

Taken last month 8-11-10 the fruit is now a little smaller than a ping pong ball.

• jacob13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow,

I remember when you got that tree, from Nipa Hut right? Congratulations, it looks great and you are going to have some fruit. Thanks for the advice. It is good to hear from another Southern California Fruit Tree Junkie. I will heed your advice.

Thanks Harry for your wisdom as well. I will do my best!!

Thanks

- Jacob

• davecito
    13 years ago

Awesome awesome pics - definitely inspiring.

Ice cream beans - how well do they perform in containers? I have two - both about 9 months - that are both starting to show some vigor. I haven't really run into any online advice on how to keep 'em happy. With mine, their growth stalled (though they otherwise seemed very healthy) until I did a belated transplant into larger pots, and they both went into growth flushes...

I note with interest your gojis and pepinos. I'm going to try them again next year. I've had no pest issues with anything else (I check daily), but I tried pepinos, and they got eaten to death! I have some coconas and naranjillas that have done very well so far (naranjillas are really, really majestic things), but otherwise my nightshade luck is far worse than anything else I've tried.

Your anonas look wonderful. How old/tall are the fruiting trees? I have a couple that are very young - my cherimoya is only about 2 months old, and volunteered in some old dirt in a large pot; it's really starting to thrive.

• jacob13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Davecito,

Thank you so much for the compliments, they are definitely encouraging. As for the Ice Cream Bean trees, this is my first go at it with them, so my knowledge is limited. I have 1 tree that is about 1.5 feet tall and is doing very nicely in its container and growing at a pretty steady pace. As for the Seedlings, they are going crazy and I need to Pot them up very soon. I keep them watered and they are happy, not much to it with them. You may definitely have 1 of them or 2 if you would like, and that goes for anyone else who would like 1 as well.

As for the Pepino, it is doing very well. I just keep it watered and it does its thing. It has about 10 fruit on it right now that are almost ready to be picked, I would say about 1 more week.

The Goji Berry plants are complete animals. They are growin like crazy. The picture above is of them 1 day after I planted them from cuttings. I know for a fact that at that time, that had not rooted yet but were still putting out new growth. They have since rooted and are super full and super lush, flowering all over the place and growing like crazy. I hope I get some fruit soon as I have never tasted them before. They are in the Greenhouse and appear to love it in there and are growing like weeds. I will post some updated pictures so that you can see what I am talking about.

As for the Annonas, all of them I am growing in Pots, in fact I am growing Everything in Pots for the time being. Right now I have a "San Pablo" Red Custard Apple that is Grafted and about 5'-6' Feet tall ad growing nicely. I do not know how old it is but it should fruit very soon, like in the next season. I also have a "Genova Red" Ilama that is about 2'-3' Feet tall and is doing extremely well. It is holding 2 Fruits right now and is continually producing new Growth Flushes and Flowers. I also have a 3'-4' Foot "Kampong Mauve" Sugar Apple tree that appeard to be suffering and I am not sure why. I have it in the Greenhouse, where it has always been but looks to be declining. I think I am going to Re-pot it and see if that helps. I am just not sure what is going on and what will improve the situation. I also have a 2'-3' Foot Seedling "Thai Noi Na" Sugar Apple that is doing very well and is ver vigorous. It is in the Greenhouse and loving it. I am going to pot it up in the next couple of weeks as it is time. I also have a couple of smaller 1' foot and less seedlings that are also doing well.

Then, there is my Grafted "Dr. White" Cherimoya tree that is about 5' Feet tall and is doing Great. It needs to be Potted up but I figured I would wait until after I harvested the Fruit so as not to put any undue Stress on the Tree. Right now it is Holding 3 Fruit and is Continually Flushing and Flowering.

I also have a couple of Rollinias in Pots that are doing good.

Hey jsvand5,

I got the Grafted Red Malay Apple from Plantogram. I ordered something else, and Mickey sent this to me as a Freebie to offset the high price of Shipping to California. I know it looks pretty scraggly in the picture, but that is because it dropped 99% of its leaves when it arrived and I Potted it up, either from Shipping or the Stress of Re-potting, or Both. Since then, it is doing Great and Rebounding nicely and has grown back quite a few leaves and Branches.

Again, If Anyone is interested in Ice Cream Bean Plants, Please E-mail me as I have quite a few that are Doing Fantastic and are Ready for Shipping!

- Jacob

• eldys
    13 years ago

Jacob, all of your plants look great. Where did you get the "genova red" ilama? I've been looking for one for years...

• jacob13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pulasan Tree Just Arrived, will Post Pictures tonight!

- Jacob

• jacob13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Eldys,

I got my Ilama from Roger Meyer

- Jacob

• Eggo
    13 years ago

Nice pics, all great looking. Like the jambu. Interesting, the ilama seedlings i'm growing had very purplish tints on the leaves.

• jacob13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello Friends,

Here is a Picture of my New Pulasan

{{gwi:1327600}}">

My New Abiu Tree

{{gwi:1327601}}”>

Thanks,

Jacob

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

I hate to say it, but that tree labeled ilama is almost surely not an ilama. The leaves look quite a bit different from an ilama, and ilamas generally won't flower that young. The flower should have big maroon colored petals. My guess is that it's probably an atemoya.

I spent quite a while looking for a grafted ilama to buy and eventually ended up grafting one myself... absolutely no one sells them anymore.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Sorry, Jacob, but I have to agree with Jeff. Here is a shot of my Genova Red Ilama.

While I did not focus on the leaf in this shot, Ilama (a. diversifolia) gets its name from the three different types of leaves that the tree forms. Your leaves are way too uniform and green to be Ilama. Even more telling is the bloom. Ilama blooms are red crimson colored. Genova red blooms are never green, even when first formed. I'll try to take some more definitive shots for your review.

Harry

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

{{gwi:2100965}}

Notice the small rounded leaves at the base of the stem which bloomed and now carries the fruit.

{{gwi:2100966}}

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Maybe this it is another cultivar of Ilama (I don't think so, but fruiting will tell for sure), but defintely not Genova Red.

Harry

• swrancher
    13 years ago

Wow! Thats a pretty diverse tropical fruit tree collection, alot of interesting uncommon plants. Have you tasted your Wax Jambu yet?

• jacob13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello All,

Jeff Hagen and Harry - Thank you so Much for the Heads up and looking out for a Fellow Member and Friend. It looks as if I have been taken to the bank, or quite possilbly it was an Honest Mistake. On any account, thanks again for letting me know what I don't have. It is probably an Atemoya because the couple of little fruit that are on the tree, have the protuberances on them.

- Jacob

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Jacob:

If you got it from Roger Meyer, I am sure it is an "honest mistake" situation. It can happen to the best of us and more so with volumes of plants. I can send you some Genova Red budwood when they go dormant this winter and you can do some grafting. Take care.

Harry

• jacob13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Harry,

Thanks again for giving me the correct information. That's what I figured, Roger just made an Honest Mistake, as his reputation proceeds him.

I would love some Budwood this winter! Thanks for offering!

- Jacob

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

I'd have to agree. From what I understand, Roger M got his budwood from Exotica. So, the mixup may have been there. And, to be honest, I think the atemoya is the better fruit :-).

I have seasoned ilama seeds if you're looking for them. I've had germination success rates in the 90% range with 24 hours 350ppm gibberillic acid.

• jacob13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the offer, I would love some seeds. What would you like in return? Again, I appreciate the offer and hope to hear from you soon.

Jacob

• gardenathome
    13 years ago

Hi, Jacob! Sent you a message. Thank you!!! :-)

• simon_grow
    13 years ago

Wow Jacob, you have a huge collection over there. It will be an awesome site to see all your tropical fruit trees planted in the ground and when fully mature. The Quail Botanical Gardens is going to have some competition!

Where did you get your Emperor Lychee from if you don't mind me asking. I hand pollinated my Sweetheart Lychee this season and there were approx 180 small lychees starting to develope and then they all just started dropping one by one. I live in San Diego, CA and this last Summer is the coolest Summer we have had since 1933. Your Emperor looks like it will hold some good fruit for you. Thanks for sharing the pics.

• jacob13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello Friends,

swrancher - Yes I have tasted the "Black Pearl" Way Jambu. My tree had like 9 or 10 fruit. Very interested texture. It was kind of like a cross between a regular apple and a radish. Very Juicy and very refreshing. It was sweet, but not as sweet as I would have liked, still very nice though.

simongrow - Thanks for the kind words. That Emperor lychee tree in the pictures is not mine. Those were pictures posted by ajaysr5. I have a Brewster, Mauritius and 2 Sweetheart Lychee trees. Pictures of My Sweetheart are posted at the top of this thread and it is flowering and fruiting right now like crazy. As for th Emperor, last time I was at Mimosa Nursery in Los Angeles, they had some of them. I do not remember the price, just that they had them in 7 and 15 gallon.

- Jacob

• soupb
    13 years ago

ajaysr5, what soil mix are you using for the emperor lychee on post Wed, Sep 8, 10 at 20:20 with the title "Taken last month 8-11-10 the fruit is now a little smaller than a ping pong ball"

jacob13, what soil mix do you use for all your container?

- Soup

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz