SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jfriesne

My Muntingia calabura fruits aren't ripening?

jfriesne
13 years ago

Hi all,

I bought a Muntingia Calabura ("Strawberry Tree") seedling from Logee's about 4 months ago and I've been growing it in a large container on my patio. It seems reasonably healthy, in that the leaves are green, it's been growing quickly (it's about 3 feet tall now) and it usually has a dozen or so flowers on it. (see photo at link)

My understanding is that these flowers should turn into tasty fruit over the course of a few days, but they don't seem to do that... what happens is that the flower lasts a day or two (as expected), and leaves a small green ball, which I assume is the fruit, but that ball never seems to change color. I would expect it to turn red.

Are my expectations incorrect, or is something wrong? (As an aside, I also notice that sometimes the leaves of the plant will be very limp, almost hanging straight down. Sometimes, like today, OTOH, they position themselves like normal leaves. Does this mean the plant isn't getting enough water sometimes, or is this usual behavior for this type of plant?)

Thanks,

Jeremy

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH