SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maspirasjr

shots of tropical fruits

maspirasjr
17 years ago

I posted this some time back in the tropicals forum, but I thought I'd post it again in this forum, where it would be more appropriate. For thoe who've seen them already, my apologies. Here they are:

From the Fruit, Nut & Spice Park south of Miami:

Spondias purpurea (mombin, ciruela or hog plum):

Antidesma bunius (bignay):

Parmentiera cereifera (candle fruit)-the fruits are actually pretty tasty, reminiscent of a fibrous sugar cane:

Mimusops elengi (Manilkara bidentata)-the fruits taste a bit like sweet potato:

Diospyros discolor (mabolo, velvet apple)-excellent sweet flavor, hard to describe but quite nice:

Diospyros discolor (sapote negro, black sapote)-tastes like chocolate pudding:

Both Diospyros species are related to the ebony hardwood.

Artocarpus heterophyllus (jackfruit)-needs no explanation!:

These shots are from Bill Whitman's yard:

Ross sapote (Pouteria campechiana)-this is a variety of eggfruit where the fruits are clustered-some horticultural taxonomists claim it is a distinct species of Pouteria:

Quararibea cordata (chupa chupa)-one of the few durian relatives that is edible. Said to taste like an apricot. The first shot is of the fruit (about apple sized) and the second of the tree itself, which is fairly large:

Garcinia mangostana (said to be the largest mangosteen surviving outdoors in the continental US):

Ditto this breadfruit (Artocarpus communis),one of few of this size surviving unprotected outdoors in south FL:

Lansium domesticum (longkong). This ultratropical from SE Asia happily thrives in Bill's garden. It was unprotected too:

Here is a very rare ultratropical fruit from equatorial Africa-Annonidium mannii or junglesop from the Congo. This is said to be a flavorful annona, and I can't help but think it must be similar to soursop. There is a description of it in Congo Native Fruits. It was growing in Bill's yard, though the tree sustained some hurricane damage. On account of the tree alone, it was very impressive-some of the individual leaves were up to 1 ft long!:

Pouteria abiu (abiu) This delicious fruit from Brazil tasted like caramel custard. It's one of the more tropical of the Pouterias:

Morinda citrifolia (noni fruit):

Pouteria sapota (mamey sapote):

Marcelo

Comments (11)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional