SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

This Years Tomato List - Contains More Heirlooms

newyorkrita
17 years ago

Last year I planted about 42 tomatoes if I remember the number correctly but only had afew heirlooms. Then I found out on this forum that Brandy Boys are not heirlooms so that left only 2 out three that I thought were heirlooms (Brandy Boy, Caspian Pink, and Mortage Lifter I think).

Well, if I had tomatoes to eat, I would eat those three first as they tasted better than anything I had grown before. Someone told me Brandy Boy doesn't taste as good as Brandywine but it tasted very good to me.

So this year I just bought my plants today (not going to put them in the ground just yet). I picked out a lot more Heirlooms as I am hooked on the taste but I did get some of my old standby regular tomatoes.

I also changed the way I do things as I always got the six packs or the 4 packs and that ment I couldn't get as many types. So this time I skipped the multiple packs and bought them one pot at a time. You get bigger plants this way too as well as more variety. And I don't need as many as I had last year, I had too many.

So heres my list--

2 Siberian

3 Better Boy

2 Parks Improved Whopper

3 The Big Bite

2 Quickpick

4 Early Girl

3 Mykonis

3 Brandy Boy

2 German Queen (Potato Leaf)

1 Black Krim

1 Mule Team

1 Prudens Purple (Potato Leaf)

1 Polish Giant

1 Box Car Willie

1 Mortgage Lifter

1 Arkansas Traveler

1 Crimson Cusshion

1 Bloody Butcher (Potato Leaf)

1 German Johnson

1 Cherokee Purple

Total of 35 plants so far.

Comments (31)

• due_east
    17 years ago

I swear by the cherokee, the tomatos are ugly
    as sin but they're the best I ever had.
    Even my Wife, who is not a fan of the tomato,
    liked them.

• yardenman
    17 years ago

Big fan of Brandywine and Cherokee Purple here... :)

• Related Discussions

Updated trade list w/tomatoes, peppers, lots of heirloom

Q

Comments (3)
    would you trade broccoli raub for bird house gourd seeds, money plant or white angel trumphet seeds thanks oswego
    ...See More

Updated List:Lots of Veggies/Herbs Want Heirloom Tomato Seeds

Q

Comments (5)
    I am interested in your Black Beauty Zuchinni,Early Prolific Straightneck yellow squash,Pink Banana. I have a small collection of heirloom toms on my trade list including Black Krim, White Wonder, Amana orange, Yellow Alisa Craig, Brandywine, Jubilee, yellow pear and a few notable reds such as mortgage lifter and rutgers. Thanks Andrew
    ...See More

Green Zebra Heirloom tomato - plant in ground or container?

Q

Comments (1)
    I'm in hot, humid Georgia and have a Green Zebra that is thriving in my amended clay soil (in ground). It is just starting to flower and set fruit-shows no sign of disease. I don't know much about your soil there though or your composting habits...?? In any case, mine is doing really well in the ground so far. I actually wish I planted more of them. Oh, and nitrogen fertilizer is usually a bad idea before you get your first fruit set. A lot of tomato experts say to fertilize mid-season after you've gotten a bit of fruit to spur on more growth. Hope this helps.
    ...See More

HAVE: Heirloom tomatoes and more to trade!

Q

Comments (5)
    I have a few heirlooms not on your list. Hawaiian Sweet Red Current, Ponderosa Pink, Hometead, Roma, Rutgers, Jubilee Golden & Marglobe. Of which I could trade 30 seeds of each for your Blackcherry, Red Brandywine, Gold Medal, and Amana Orange. I would like about the same in seeds, or I could trade 50+ seeds of each, if this is to your liking. I have some yellow pear also, but can't say these are heirloom, but are of a good taste nonetheless. Kris Northern VA.....I don't have a page yet...sorry, maybe in a week or so, just started again after years of not looking in seed exchange. Pic Jubilee Golden, Marglobe...Hope they go thru?
    ...See More
  • yardenman
    17 years ago

Everyone has such impressive lists these days. I grow only my favorites, Sudduth Brandywine, Cherokee Purple, and (oddly) Big Beef. And any cherry (usually Sweet Million). If I grew 2 others, they would be Pruden's Purple and Caspian Pink. Might try Black from Tula again next year. Hey, I've learned what I like... :)

• titan_eddie
    17 years ago

I always say I'm going to cut back to 4 or 5 types then about the 2nd week of January I get a seed catalog in the mail and then next thing you know I've order 20 or so.

• carolyn137
    17 years ago

Rita, I remember your posts of last year and I'm glad to see you branching out to more OP's, as you indicated.

I've grown most of the OP's on your list so I'll be interested to see what you think of them.

This is neither the time nor place for me to be sharing with you my faves, b'c each person has to just grow more and more varieties until they decide what works best for them in their location with their soil, their weather and their way of growing tomatoes.

So lets hope that those of us in NYS state have a wonderful summer with moderate temps and nice rainfalls, without lighning or hail,, thank you, on a regular basis throughout the summer. ( smile)

Carolyn

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    17 years ago

"So lets hope that those of us in NYS state have a wonderful summer with moderate temps and nice rainfalls, without lighning or hail,, thank you, on a regular basis throughout the summer. ( smile)"

And Ohio, too!

Yep, I was only going to grow a couple of types this year, then decided to check out Fusion's website LOL! And then I went to another site and got seeds of a couple more types. So now I am planning on 8 or 9 varieties, all new to me except my Mortgage Lifters. I will be so excited to taste all these "new to me" maters!!

• shellva
    17 years ago

I wish we were neighbors! I'm trying to find homes for 5 varieties I grew from seed that are on your list.

This year I am going to attempt to grow 10 maybe 11 different tomatoes. 8 I have grown from seed myself. The others I will buy. I already bought an Early Girl. It had two plants in the cup so I pulled them apart and have to find a home for one of them.

I'm going to buy German Queen if I can find it and I'd like to get some kind of beefsteak or one of the larger tomatoes.

Is this your first year growing the Park's Whopper? If you've grown it before, how would you rate it's taste and what size potential do the fruits have? I realize taste is in the tastebuds of the beholder but I figured it can't hurt to ask.

Also, what about Better Boy? Is it a tomato grown for it's larger fruit?

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I just went back and found the old thread that I posted in 2006 with my 2006 list which was-

10 Early Girl
    4 Grape Tomato
    4 Big Bite
    6 Parks Whopper
    6 Big Boy
    6 Better Boy
    6 Italian Beefstake
    1 Caspian Pink
    1 Mortgage Lifter
    1 Brandy Boy
    Total of 45 tomato plants put in May 6

Quite a bit different from my list this year for 2007. Honestly looking at last years list I don't like the lack of variety I had by going for all those 6 packs but last year I thought I had a good list. This year I think I did a lousey job on last years list. Oh well.

shellva- I grow Parks Whoppers or Improved Whoppers every year for at least ten years. They are one of my standbys and have good taste but the fruits are not really that big. At least not in my garden.

Better Boy has larger fruit and tastes good but I like the taste of the old fashioned Big Boy the best of the three mentioned myself. I usually put in either Big Boy or Better Boy or both also for lots of years. I also always put in Early Girl, which really isn't so great in the taste department so this year I added the Quickpick which are also early tomatoes. Never heard of it before.

Carolyn - I picked those particular Heirlooms because that is what I found for sale and all the descriptions sounded good. I also picked the Mykonis tomatoes, which I never heard of before, because they said they were known for being a fresh market fruit and it sounded good to me.

• phantom_white
    17 years ago

I'm growing about 18 different types this year:
    Beefmaster
    Roughwood Golden Tiger
    Sweet 100's
    Ananas Noire
    Cherokee Green
    Bradley
    Brandywine (PL)
    Japanese Trifle Black
    Black from Tula
    Grandfather Ashlock
    Jeff's Mystery Pink Oxheart
    Striped Cavern
    Ponderosa Red
    Dr. Wyches Yellow
    Black Cherry
    Kellogg's Breakfast
    Lemon Boy
    Stump of the World

There was more, but some seeds didn't germinate at all. Don't know how many of each I'll have, at least two I'm hoping.

Abby

• northernmich
    17 years ago

My 2007 list, trying to grow 2 each as backup :)

Rutgers (select)
    cherry
    Mr. Stripey
    Brandywine Pink
    Brandywine Red
    Mortgage Lifter
    Amish Paste
    Yellow Pear
    Italian
    Roma
    Red Currant
    Gold Currant
    Yellow Pear Cherry
    Large Red Cherry
    Italian Heart
    Micro Tom Cherry
    Silvery Fir
    Tiny Tim
    Super Marmande
    GardnerÂs Delight
    Farmer Reds
    Orange Banana
    Super Beefsteak
    Black Prince
    Large Red Cherry
    Delicious

Earl Faux did not germinate.
    Silvery, Tim and Tom were hard to get up.

Unusual warm weather, tilled and put in 9 in raised bed. I covered them for first night out, watered and mulched. Saving rest to put out later...might lose the first group.

Dug in rock and clay and planted three dwarf apples, Yellow and Red Delicious and Winesap. Got them at Walmart, they have been outside since arrival from TN.

• shellva
    17 years ago

Thanks Rita. I will keep an eye out for the Big Boy then. I have never had a fantastic year of growing tomatoes so my experience with the different tastes is limited. I try every year though!

Guess I'll be growing 11 plants. I picked up a grape tomato plant today. Still need to pick up a larger fruiting one though. Thanks for your advice.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am itching to get them in the ground, I just can't wait. Looking at the long range forcast Monday looks very good as the nighttime lows are going to be around 55 after that.

• woodyend
    17 years ago

These are only the types we have planted so far.
    I donÂt know how to post a picture but here is a link to our garden.
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/nan337/gar07.jpg
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/nan337/ring07.jpg
    Tomatoes

Early Girl
    Better Boy
    Homestead
    Celebrity
    Beefsteak
    Grape
    Lemon Boy
    Big Beef
    Porter
    Gulf State
    Mountain Pride
    Marglobe
    La Roma
    Golden Ponderosa
    Pineapple
    Watermelon Beefsteak
    Cuoro De Toro
    Lillian Golden Giant

• woodyend
    17 years ago

Hugh's Yellow
    Thai Pink
    Manalucie

• woodyend
    17 years ago

We planted 68 more tomatoes today, they were......
    Pink Ponderosa
    San Marzano
    Tomcat
    Teton de Venus

• lantanascape
    17 years ago

Sadly, some of the varieties that I started from seed didn't make it out to the garden. They were replaced with purchased seedlings. Luckily we have an organic market gardener nearby who sells seedlings out of her greenhouse in the spring.

I'm devoting 1 bed to tomatoes this year, so I've had to narrow it down to:

Sungold
    Sweet 100 (black cherry seedling died)
    Carmello
    Hillbilly West Virginia
    Silvery Fir Tree
    Marianna's Peace
    Black Krim
    Striped German
    Kellogg's Breakfast

I'm sad that I won't have any Azoychka plants this year, as they've born fruit first each of the past couple of years. Other disappointments include the loss of my ARGG and mortgage lifter. 9 plants isn't really adequate, and I'm looking at the garden area I fenced out in January and wondering if there's a practical way to expand it...

• stargazer_1118
    17 years ago

love love love those black krim. Also love Principe Borghese for drying...........

• woodyend
    17 years ago

I have noticed that the Marianna's Peace seems to be very popular around here. We have never grown any, so I am interested in why so many folks are growing them?

• titan_eddie
    17 years ago

Mostly on hype. I tried them for a couple of years and they are very tasty but I didn't get very good production from them. It's one of those tomatoes with a story behind it and it's only been available for a few years. As with any plant, YMMV.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I didn't plant on Monday. Instead I planted them all today. Its a beautiful day and quite warm. Nightime temps are supposed to be pretty warm too for the next few days that I saw so this was a good time to get those tomatoes planted. They look great.

I have never gone with Heirlooms before so I am very exceited and can't wait for this years crop to start ripening.

• kubotabx2200
    17 years ago

30 total plants this year, last year I grew 60

12 Brandwines (original pink potato leaf type)
    6 Yellow Brandywine
    6 Belgian giant
    6 Beefmaster

In years past I have grown eight or nine different varieties at a time but now I no longer like so many types, they are too hard to manage and hard to even remember what I grew or how they did. Just not as much fun growing that many types now that I have grown them once before I guess the novelty just wore off. 4 or 5 is about right. This year I basically concentrate on big tomatoes now, eliminated all the cherry and grape tomatoes, medium sizes or the early hybrids like Early Girl.

Overall the pink Brandywine are still my taste favorite. I like the yellow Brandywine too, I always need a yellow tomato. It was this or Lemon Boy. Lemon Boy are better producers in my area (by a lot). My adventure tomato this year is Belgian giant heirloom. I am growing Beefmaster hybrid the first time this year I always like a hybrid and heard this is one is a good balance of flavor/yield equation.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I was back at Hicks so I bought two more Bloody Butcher (Potato Leaf) since the one I have is setting tomatoes already and I like the idea of early fruit. While I was there I also found a hybred variety called Super Tasty and bought two of those. I mean how could I resist something called Super Tasty? Its supposed to be sweet with excellent flavor. We will see.

So I also got to the other nursery that had the Caspian Pink tomatoes last year (Hicks Nursery doesn't seem to have them) and I bought two of them also. While there I saw another Heirloom called Moskvich Tomato so I bought two of them. Tag said a very appealing extra early Heirloom variety so again I couldn't resist.

Then in front of a supermarket that I went to today but don't usually go to they had a big rack of tomatoes in cups. They only had two varieties, a yellow variety and they had Big Boy, another of my old standby favorites so you know I bought some of them too.

What am I thinking buying all these tomatoes but I never can resist. I wind up with tons of plants every year so matter how hard I say I am not getting anymore. If I had lots of land, I am sure I would plant at least a hundred tomatoes and then wonder what to do with them all.

• trudi_d
    17 years ago

Rita,

You gotta try to learn to stay outta Hicks. They're like a big black hole for your green money.

T--who has already spent her Mother's Day Hicks Gift Certificate and is looking forward to the one for her birthday, followed by Christmas Hicks and Valentine's Day Hicks, and who is grateful to everyone at Hicks for how nice and warmly they treat Hubs when they see him come in the door ;-)

• schwankmoe
    17 years ago

i'm growing 2 early girls, 1 hybrid plum, 1 san marzano, 1 brandywines and 1 red lightning with another brandywine, san marzano and a russian black going in soon on the roof of my brownstone (i have the best landlord ever).

i just have to be careful b/c i have a crazy squirrel who likes to dig up everything i plant.

here's hopin'.

• otomato-o
    17 years ago

Gee Carolyn, your post sounded like a summer prayer for the tomato season..how lovely..

ruth

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

trudi- Staying out of Hicks seems impossible for me but at least this time I didn't get any tomatoes. I was there twice more and bought an azaela shrub, five lilacs in bloom (smelled wonderful), some late dutch honeysuckle vines, some Clematis vines, two roses in bloom, and some small annuals like snapdragons.

• eldonut
    17 years ago

My five plant garden:
    Caspian Pink
    Cherokee Purple
    Sudduth Brandywine
    Amish Brandywine
    Celebrity

• yardenman
    16 years ago

Eldonut - As I have never grown 2 kinds of Brandywine in the same season, I am interested in how they compare in taste and productivity under equal conditions...

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, man whatever was I thinking buying all these tomato plants? Last year I had lousey production so this spring I got compost delived by truck and put it on all the tomato rows before I planted. The tomatoes wound up planted in such great compost they just loved it and grew and are still growing like crazy. The tomatoes have already started and the production is super great. All my heirlooms have tomatoes and they are starting to turn ripe.

I am going to have to start selling them in front of my house, I have so many. Kidding about the sales table but not about the rest. This year I can say that my heirlooms are producing like crazy. Tasting pretty good too.

I am loosing track but I have been eating tomatoes since very early july and that never happens.

• trudi_d
    16 years ago

I'm sure you can find a home for those extra tomatoes.

Island Harvest

Long Island Cares

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I started with the locals and gave bags of tomatoes to my neightbors yesterday. Made me pretty popular. I have never had lots of tomatoes to share this early, usually have to wait until at least the second week in August.