SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peebee1_gw

Tomato Gurus! Please answer my question!

peebee1
15 years ago

Aaaaaack!!! For some reason, a few of my tomato seedlings are exhibiting never-seen(at least to me)signs of strangulation: at the very base of the plant, it looks as if something literally squeezed the stem to almost nothing. I watch my plants like a hawk daily, so the plants have not had time to keel over before I discover it,in fact the upper part is still strong looking. My plants are still quite small, this is their first potting up since germination in littler pots, and as they were leggy this year I buried them to almost the very first set of leaves as usual.

They almost look like cutworms got to them, but there are no bite marks at all, plus they are in potting mix, not soil, and on a table on the patio, no ground anywhere near them. So far, the victims have been very random: Out of maybe 40 young plants, 1 KBX, 1 Opalka, 1 Green Zebra, and 4 NBDs. What is causing this squeezed-to-death stem? I have cut the rest of the plant and repotted all the choked ones hoping they can re-root as cuttings, but they are probably too small.

Was hoping to plant my toms this weekend and give the rest away. Do you think this will eventually happen to all? Help me!

Suzie

Comments (9)