SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ticodxb

determinate plants, fertilize or not fertilize with tomato set?

ticodxb
13 years ago

I am growing 2 different determinate varieties, Fargo and Homestead 24 two of each variety.

I have been fortunate enough to get some tomatoes set on my plants but tons of flowers shriveled up and died becuase the temps went way too high.

Now with the tomatoes that have set, I am wondering if I should fertilize at all while they are ripening? They are still all green.

Just from researching on the web, I fertilized with diluted fresh urine and also an organic fertilizer named Yates Dynamic Lifter--lets see, I used the diluted urine on the plants twice, and the Dynamic Lifter granules once at separate times.

I can't use the Yates one anymore because the directions say to stop using it once the temperatures reach 30C (86F) and I know I can't use the diluted urine any longer since it set fruit.

(also, one of the Homestead 24 plants I think maybe got over fertilized... all the initial tomatoes got BER and so one day I flooded the pot to try to dilute the soil and the rest of the little bit of tomatoes left are doing ok.)

I have some dried Wakame seaweed that I was thinking of making a tea/emulsion for the plants but just wanted to make sure if I even if I need to fertilize them at all at this stage.

Also, if the weather makes any difference, it is in the upper 80s to low 90s for highs and its been in the high 70s to low 80s for lows these days! hot hot hot!

also, from the Homestead 24 plants, they both are different shades of green and even the tomatoes are slightly different shades.

The plant that had all the BER at the beginning is lighter in color and the tomatoes are also a lighter shade of green.

The plant that has a bit darker shade of green foliage has tomatoes that are also a tad darker and more glossy.

Could that have had anything to do with one of the plants possibly getting over-fertilized?

Comments (2)