SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hooti_gw

What natives have you seen in nurseries?

Hooti
18 years ago

Hi everyone,

Today while I was nursery combing I had the thought that maybe we could post if and where we see native plants, because they can be hard to find.

I was happy to see that the Jeepers Creepers (brand name I guess) have two natives in their line. They are Barren Strawberry and Pussytoes. They may be cultivars (I don't know) but hard to find previously, I thought.

To my understanding Jeepers Creepers is a supplier/brand name of groundcovers. Because groundcovers tend to be spreaders, it is good to consider natives -especailly if planting them where they may escape. I saw these at Pudgies in Batavia (Rt 5, on the outskirts west of the "city proper".

Thumbs down to both Home Depot. They have Pachyssandra terminalis labled with the common name "Alleghany Spurge". P. terminalis is Japanese spurge, an invasive foreign species. Alleghany spurge is P. procumbens - a native species.

If I find the latter I will let you know where. (Anyone here know?)

Walmart also has the invasive Japanese Spurge. On the other hand most of their plants have died from neglect, so they probably won;t have it long - alive anyhow.

Anyone else spot a native in their shopping?

PAX

Laurette

Comments (3)