SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lime123_gw

30 Year Old Avocado Tree

lime123
9 years ago

This is my first post on this forum, so hopefully, I won't be repeating a recently asked question.
When my children were young, we planted an avocado seed which grew into a delightful tree. Since it is in the house, in a pot, I have found that it seems to need transplanting, trimming and root pruning about every couple of years. The first time I did this, was about 15 years ago. I severely trimmed it back telling it to sink or swim. Happily, it swam, re-leafed and got lots of new branches. As the years have gone on, I have found that it seems unlikely to put out new growth on other than green wood which has meant that the branches at the bottom are getting a bit sparse and the top is growing a bit too much. It is growing into the skylight now and I will need to cut it back. My question is this: If I cut it back severely, will it again be inclined to get new branches all along the trunk or just at the top? Or will the shock just be too much for it?
Thank you. I would appreciate any help on this since putting the tree outside is not an option.
Patricia

Comments (5)