SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coconut_head

select seedlings, low germination and brown tips

12 years ago

ok, so I planted a flat with 6 rows of tomato seedling, 2 of the rows had half or worse germination (homer fikes yellow oxheart and stupice) the stupice only had about 5 of 20 seeds sprout, Homer fikes, about 10. ALL of the homer fikes are browning on the tips, one all the way to the stem and is dead.

All the other varieties are doing swell. (super sweet 100, sungold, san marzano redorta, choc stripes) The stupice was going t9o be my main red, I want to try them but also need to have more than 5 of them if they even make it. Can I pull them and pot up early? no true leaves yet. And then start another row of something like italian heirloom in its place?

Should I pull all the homer fikes as well? they look bad. I would pot them up also and just see if they make it, would like to grow one just to try it. otherwise I have more seeds to throw in. and I still have plenty of time before I need to plant out. Is it a case of bad seed? they are in the same flat with the same lighting, temperatures and water as the others.

Comments (6)