SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melanie_patterson

I like my low ceilings. Looking for design tips with low ceilings.

Melanie Patterson
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I live in an old 1930s cottage style house. The ceilings are 7 feet high. I'm petite, so I don't mind this at all, but when I search for information on designing rooms in my home, they are all about making the ceilings higher. Many articles and images now say 8 foot ceilings are low. Why do people think low ceilings are a bad thing? I'm in the process of redoing my kitchen and am frustrated trying to find answers to things like "will a pot rack make my kitchen look cluttered or make the ceilings look lower," and " photos of single cabinet over the range" (meaning not attached to other cabinets, because the wall the stove and fridge are on only have room for the stove and fridge. There is no space for cabinets surrounding them, and with a six foot tall cabinet depth fridge and seven foot ceilings, there is little to no room for an over fridge cabinet, let alone one that connects to the cabinets above the stove, etc.) My kitchen also has a busy "figure 8" traffic pattern to be able to access the back door, dining room, bathroom, living room, master bedroom, basement and stairs to the upper level. It's rectangular with one end of it unusable because of traffic and no wall space. I'm looking for articles and photos to give me ideas for this design dilemma.

Comments (16)