SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yaeli_gw

"compost volunteers" vs seed packet plants (help :)

Yaeli
11 years ago

I'm not a tomato connoisseur and where I live you can get only "small" (meaning cherry) tomato seeds or "big" (slicing size) seeds from the garden center --we don't seem to have the myriad of varieties available elsewhere. That is ok with me as what I am interested in is food of any edible variety and the more of it, the better.

Last year I grew 7 cherry tomato plants from seed and got not enough produce for one person with them all combined. From the compost I've been cultivating I've gotten dozens of 'volunteers' -- there were some of the cherry tomatoes produced from last years' "crop" in there but many more cherry and 'big' tomato leavings I'd gotten from the store/vegetable stands tossed in there. The compost 'volunteer' seedlings are about 100 times more robust and healthy than the new cherry tomato plants I started from seed.

My question is essentially, what will give me more food -- the unknown variety of 'volunteers' that sprouted from the compost or the rather sickly, in comparison, cherry tomatoes I've started from seed?

Comments (8)