SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coatfetish_gw

Help me pick which tomatoes to grow this year!

coatfetish
11 years ago

I want to try tomatoes I've never grown, and I am getting ready to order seed. Qualities I am looking for include; Heirloom, non-GMO, tasty fresh, good canner (plant doesn't have to be both good fresh AND a good canner - I don't mind growing different tomatoes for different uses).

I prefer as few seeds and gel as possible, and no "mealy" texture.

here's what I'm looking at now - if any of you have first-hand experience with any of these (and some are common) I'd love to hear what you have to say! Thanks!

Giant Belgium
Ponderosa Pink
Mortgage Lifter
Beefsteak
Bradley

I will say what's gotten me on this path - my grocery store is selling some kind of heirloom-looking tomato right now that is flattish, deeply ribbed, medium to large (4" to 6+" in diameter) and has the delicious old-timey flavor I remember as a kid. I forgot how good tomatoes could taste! The meat is smooth and juicy, but some are a bit seedy/gel. I think it might be Beefsteak. Whatever it is, it doesn't look like one that would hold/ship well, so I think it is locally grown. Anyhow, it got me looking at heirloom tomatoes for my garden this year. I really only have room for 2 or three varieties - so far I'm leaning towards Beefsteak, Giant Belgium, and Bradley or Mortgage Lifter (only because I read about it all the time)

Thanks again!

Comments (15)