SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wineyarders

Advice needed - seedlings growing too quick

15 years ago

Hi All,

Starting from seed for the 1st time and I decided to go with soil blocks. I started March 22 with the intention of transplanting in mid-May. For tomatoes I'm just growing 2 tomato plants of 3 varieties - 2 cherry, 2 early, and 2 heirloom. They all germinated quickly and took off like rockets, and I potted up from the 2 in. to a larger block (30 oz tomato can mold) after only a week or 2. The cherries at this point are about a foot tall and growing a lot every day. The roots are growing down the sides and out of the bottom of the block. I expected to be transplanting at this stage but it's still too early here in Boston. So I'm looking for advice on what I should do. I see the following options:

1. Just leave them in the block and let 'em go for a few more weeks. I'm not sure what the repercussions of this would be. I don't mind if the growth slows or even stops, but I don't want long term production to suffer. Can a seedling in a soil block can become rootbound?

2. Scrap these plants and start over. It took a month to get to this point, so I should be able to re-germinate another batch and be at this point come late May. It would be unfortunate to lose all that time and energy put into these guys though.

3. Try to make an even larger block. I've never seen a block bigger than the 4 in. blockers which is about where I'm at now.

4. I've seen folks mention cutting and rooting a sucker but I've never done this before. Is the sucker the equivalent of a seedling?

5. Move up my transplant date to early May.

Any advice is greatly appreciated,

Ryan

Comments (4)