SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mensplace

most common question: what tastes best?

mensplace
14 years ago

In each opportunity of my meeting with folks who drive from throughout Georgia and even from Chattanooga and similar regional points to reach Cartersville Ga to select from among my 100 varieties, (with MANY more additions coming very soon), I have found that the consultative role generally ends in a discussion of an hour or so about heirlooms, what makes them special, how to plant, and far more, but the ONE question that is always the biggie is, What tastes BEST".

As I learned from the experts of another forum, THAT depends upon a lot of factors. Do you can tomatoes or intend to make juice or sauces? Do you often use tomatoes in cooking? Have you ever considered drying tomatoes? What does the perfect tomato taste mean to you? Describe the sensation that appeals to you? Do you like acidic or milder tomatoes? Is sweetness a major consideration. Have you ever experienced the other colors? What size tomatoes do you prefer? What about the texture and ration of seed to pulp?

Of the 5000 heirlooms available, tastes is literally a variable feast, as what tast incredble to you may not suit another. Fortunately, I began my quest with flavor as a foremost item for selection of which seed to start, but even among the 100 that were recommended as the best, there is still a tomato to address every taste and application. Truth be told, there really is NO reason why folks today to go away with anything less than something delicious, but it DOES require a bit of thought and a careful analysis of what YOU are looking for in a tomato.

Truth be told, I don't think folks would be driving to this little spot nort of Atlanta from Lagrange, Chattanooga, or evn Alabama if they found the unripened, shipped prematurely, waxen, bland fruit of groceries to be accepable. People today have TIRED of bland. NOW, they want not just any tomato, but THEIR tomato. At least with my initial list and descriptors of my first 100 that role of tomato consultant has become even more important than merely offering plants. I won't to be growing all that I have next year due to health limitations, but at least for this year many across this region will know and have some new varieties as well as having recived instruction of how to save and share their own seed. NOW, to begin to pot my second batch of new seedlings and even further broaden the field. I DO wish I had grown Sun Gold, Green Zebra, and FAR more Cherokee purple this year! We learn.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor