SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angela_t

Well, I see the difference in hybrid vs. heirloom! lol

angela.t
12 years ago

So...this is my first year gardening. My husband and I bought a house about 4 months ago, and I started my plants about 3-4 weeks ago.

By the way, I'd put pics up for ya'll to look at(I'm SUCH a fan of ya'll that do that, being a newbie and such. haha), but my comp's broken and can't on my husband's without actually plugging in the camera.

Anyways, I'm growing the following:

-San Marzano Redorta

-Opalka

-Marianna's Peace

-Brandywine, Suddath's Strain

-Italian Tree

-Sungold

-Middle Tennessee(Dang you TomatoFest for giving me a bonus

pack of seeds! How could I NOT plant them

too? ;) )

Do you wanna guess which ones, without my noticing(which is pretty hard since I look at them in depth at LEAST twice a day! lol), have taken off like gangbusters?

.....The Sungold!

All my heirlooms are doing good, but I just noticed today that the Sungold look like they're at least a week or so more mature in height and leaf structure than the others. They're literally about 20 % taller, and they have their leaves looking similar to the tomatoes I see at my favorite nursery. Crazy part is they came up all at about the same time!

Now I'm a fan of heirlooms, even though I have yet to taste one, but I just thought I'd share the funny fact that indeed, in some ways, hybrid may be better. But only in growing speed, that's all. heh ;)

P.S-On a final thought, maybe you tomato pros out there may be able to tell me whether it may be because they're hybrids or because they're cherry tomatoes. Or do cherry tomatoes usually grow at about the same speed as normal tomatoes? Just occurred to me that might be a factor as well. :)

Comments (10)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus