SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_b_in_wy

Diameters of CRW cages & winter storage

14 years ago

My husband and I are planning to make CRW tomato cages this weekend or the next. WeÂd like to make them so we can "nest" three together for winter storage. WeÂre planning on diameters of 18", 21" and 24". When I round the circumferences up to the next closest 6" (making 60", 66" and 78") and deduct 3" for bending the end wire back around to form a hook, the finished diameters calculate to 18.1", 20.1" and 23.9". This would make 8 sets of three cages, with 168" of wire left over  enough to make one more medium cage and one more large cage. Total: 26 cages, remainder: 24" of wire

IÂm a little worried about whether that 2" difference in diameters will be enough to enable us to slip the smallest cage inside the middle cage without too much of a struggle. IÂd like to optimize materials without paying for my mistakes for the life of the cages. Oh, and having useful-size cages would be a plus :) Does anyone have any suggestions for how much difference in diameters is necessary to allow for easy storage?

A couple options IÂm kicking around:

If I round the smallest cage circumference down to 54", weÂd have 9 sets of 3 cages with diameters of 16.2", 20.1" and 23.9". Total: 27 cages, remainder: 18" of wire

Alternately, I could round the middle and largest cage circumferences up to 72" and 84" and wind up with 8 sets of three cages measuring 18.1", 22.0" and 25.8" (and 72" of wire left over  enough to make one more middle-sized cage). Total: 25 cages, remainder: 0

Having never worked with this wire before, I should ask, too, is it realistic to figure the hook will reduce the circumference by 3"? Maybe 4" or 5" or 6" is closer to the mark? BTW Â DH is against the idea of cutting everything off flush/square and using zip ties to secure the ends. I havenÂt broached the hog ring idea though :)

Thank you!

Comments (6)