SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
owiebrain

Tomato Cage Design

owiebrain
13 years ago

There are gazillions of ideas out there for tomato cages and all have their pros and cons. What we made last and what I still have 25 of are welded, round cages of CRW. I need more. Many, many more.

In OK, we had 24 acres so lots of room to store them in the woods, no unsightly piles in public view. here, we have only five acres, flat & clear except for the tree-lined creek. We're highly visible from both the state highway that runs along the front and the county road that runs along the side. I don't want 100-200 cages piled up.

What designs would you choose if you had to do it all over again and you wanted easily-stacked and -stored cages? I was thinking along the lines of triangular with one side hinged/zip-tied on so that the angles could stack after one panel was removed at the end of the season, with a separate stack for those removed panels. Or maybe squares, zip-tied on two opposite corners (welded on the other two) so, at the end of the season, there would only be angles to neatly stack.

I'd hate to go through that many zip ties but it seems the most efficient method on first thought. I do so hate waste of any sort, though, and I'm a terrible cheapskate who hates recurring costs. Hubby could weld the permanent corners, though.

Any suggestions? I'm open to just about anything metal.

Diane

Comments (17)