SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenclaws

Royal Poinciana advice needed

Hi there...It's happened again : ¬ (

My 2 Royal Poincianas which have been growing steadily since I planted the seeds back in spring suddenly dropped a load of leaflets overnight. Obviously the drop in temps had triggered them to do this. They were in the warmth of the greenhouse for the summer but I have had them in the house for some time now as temps are dropping at night to around 4-5C outside. The temp in the living room must have also been a bit too cold for them during the night. My question is....what do I do with them now? Would it be best to cut the defoliated leaf stalks off leaving a short piece next to the main stem and hope they sprout from the nodes in spring? They look a real mess now, the same thing happened with the batch of seedlings I grew last year, but they didn't sprout in spring so I started again. This years seedlings got to a much bigger size and the lower portion of the stems 'ripened' so I thought I would be in with a chance this time.

Un/fortunately, I have another 16 seeds to try with but I'm quickly thinking I must finally admit defeat in growing these tropicals once and for all and turn to plants of a more temperate climate which after all is what I guess I am 'supposed' to grow, but I just can't resist the temptation to have a go. Nothing ventured and all that. So HELLLLLLP! any suggestions? Here's a pic of the semi-skeletonised RP's....

Comments (22)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES