SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marin2003

black spots on potted mango

marin2003
18 years ago

Hello!

I'd like to hear some opinions from experts or anyone with experience in home growing mango.

I have a 2 year old mango, planted from seed, so its one of those that is not a predictable type and with potentionaly awful tasting fruit. However I didnt plant it for fruits but for fun. I live in zone 9, mediterranean, and my mango is in a 2 gallon pot, its about two feet tall without side branching. It had 9 to 10 flushes of new leaves but only couple last ones still have leaves. Others are remaining scars on the stem. The problem I noticed is that it stops growing during summer, although I move it to a new location which might be sunnier, warmer and with more ocean influence during two summer months. Now its back to its original location and the oldest set of leaves on lowest flush is starting to get many dark, black spots that eventually cover whole leave before it turns brown and dries out. This for time being doesnt affect newer flushes of growth. This might be because of change of its location. By the way during winter its inside the house and doing just fine. And it thrives in spring and again in the fall. I am not sure is this plant suppose to loose older leaves in this manner or not? Anyways its not like its going to die, I'm about to cut the top to induce side branching, I plan to leave it rather small and have it as a nice tropical pot bound plant. If anyone had similar experience with their mango , I'd like to hear it.

thanks

Marin

Comments (2)