SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mannye

At the end of my rope!

mannye
17 years ago

Sorry about the long post!

I live in Miami Beach, and I have been trying to keep a decent looking backyard for almost a decade now, and I'm at the point where all I want to do is rip everything out.

My hibiscus hedge has never looked right, whatever is making the buds fall off is resistant (or at lest seems to be) to anything I throw at it. I started all nice with ladybugs and nematodes(sp?) trying not to resort to pesticides. When that didn't work, I moved to the "safe" soap and oils and those seems to be working, but if I let up for just a week, they would start falling again.

Then I got fed up and bought the strongest, most environmentally unfriendly chemical pesticide I could find (available to consuners) and yay...that seemed to do the trick...except that after two weeks, they were back again and the hibiscus were looking like crap again.

Honestly, if it takes me putting on a haz-mat suit once every two weeks and spending the better part of a day spraying down the backyard in 90 degree heat and 98% humidity and then worrying about my kids playing back there for three days in order to have a decent looking hibiscus hedge, then I'm not willing to have a hibiscus hedge and I'll just rip it up and replace with something else...

I have tried to follow the instructions on all the products to a "t" and I've bought all the applicators, wands, etc out there.

Is there anything I can do that mabe I haven't tried that will make keeping my hibiscus hedge looking decent? Should I cut it way back and let it grow again?

Just for clarification...this is a 7 foot tall hedge about 50 feet long.

My lawn service, which I just fired, pruned the hedge all wrong (upside-down triangle) so now on top of the pest problem I have no leaves on the bottoms of the hedge and I probably need to prune everything back now anyway (myself...because if you don't do it yourself...)

Comments (9)