SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tc_prime

A taste like Campari.

tc_prime
13 years ago

Hello all. Brief lurker of the site. Have found it very informative.

I'm a novice when it comes to tomatoes (i.e. my first real attempt was last year). Considering it was my first year, I had decent success growing out on a porch. I had some husky cherry red's, sweet 100's (both in containers), and had lemon boy's in the dirt.

The lemon boys did well, until the squirrels got to them. I admit the area did not get much sun, so it didn't produce much fruit, but what little it did produce, the squirrels took from me. I knew this because halfway across the grass I would find half-eaten yellow tomatoes, and nobody else would be growing them.

Anyway...this year I decided I may spring to purchase a plot at a community garden. I'm a tomato lover through and through. I've been eating them like candy since I was a child (born in 79, not THAT old yet). I can only remember the days tasting a good Jersey tomato (doesn't seem to exist anymore), and recently came across a Campari brand at my local grocery store/Costco.

These tomatoes taste very nice. I'm becoming partial to them, however, I would love to grow something quite comparable. I know taste is relative, but I figured I would put my feelers out there to see what others may think comes close to this Campari breed.

I enjoy the sweetness of the Campari, but I also thoroughly enjoy the acidic flavor of old Jersey tomatoes that were greenish/red. With a little salt, they were the best things I ever tasted as a child, however, I can say I was never exposed to the many varieties of tomatoes out there.

I appreciate anyone's insight or opinion on the matter. I'm sure I could have browsed through hundreds of posts here, but since I felt Campari's were the best thing I've tasted lately that I'd just start a new thread.

I look forward to becoming knowledgeable. In each post I find myself looking for a reply from Carolyn.

Comments (15)