SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alamo5000

Freeze and Broken Tomatoes and Update on Dying seedlings

alamo5000
15 years ago

First an update. A few weeks ago I posted about a lot of my seedlings dying off and I didn't know why. After a bit of consideration I tried a couple of things, but ultimately I went out and put all my plants in the ground and said, to myself 'what happens happens'.

After I did that, the plants are now all very healthy and are growing perfectly. I am actually surprised at how nice they look...and how fast they are taking off. And on top of that our official safe date is less than 2 weeks away.

I think the problems I was having was several fold...

1. I used bad soil (meaning just ground dirt not potting soil) when I put my plants in cups... as a result I noticed the root systems were not overly developed. (Make that a lesson to all the newbies like me to use good potting soil for your seedlings)

2. I think because my soil wasn't as good as it needed to be the soil would also dry out very quickly. When I was putting them into the ground I noticed that even though I was watering them, the roots were dry, dry, dry...

That was were another part of my problems came from with the dying seedlings. When they were sitting outside and still in the cups, a few days got above 80 degrees and it was basically cooking the plants from the roots up in that really dry almost sandy soil I had stupidly used.

Fortunately I saved almost all the plants that were left. Now they are deep green and lush and are in the ground and growing extremely well. They got set out early in the ground, but now its only 2 weeks or less until the actual safe to plant date.

The weather has been absolutely beautiful, but the last two nights were almost freezing though. It got down to 34 degrees last night and about 36 degrees the night before.

I covered all my plants up with a large plastic sheet...only a few leaves that were actually in contact with the plastic were frozen and are now shrivelled off. But largely the plants came out unscathed with so far 100% surviving.

What happend though is as we were putting that plastic sheeting down some of the tops of the plants were broken off. Broken branches will replace themselves, but on a few plants the tops of the main stem have been snapped all the way off.

Will this have any adverse effect on the plants? Or will they eventually rejuvinate?

Before I grew a cherry tomato in a bucket once. The plant was mature and the top of the plant, the main stalk got cut off. It still grew, but the plant looked very ugly and it also cut back production quite a bit.

I am not sure if the same thing will happen with these, or the fact that they are still young that in the end it won't matter. I am not sure what to expect.

Comments (4)