SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catmandoo_gw

Mango Grafting Poly vs Mono

Catmandoo
11 years ago

Hello,

I'm extremely new to gardening/planting, but I've done a lot of reading on planting mangoes. However, I haven't really found out a nice solid yes or no answer. Most responses I've seen is between, which is Nes, or Yo.

Last year I bought 5 mangoes from Wal*Mart and decided to grow them. I purchased them the first week of November.I've always been a fan of the Mango fruit and I'm hoping to have a few trees in my own yard someday.

Here is the dilemma. The 5 seeds I've planted only 2 are really taking off. One is about a foot high with its 4th set of leaves. The second is about 9-10 inches with its 2nd set of leaves. The stock has a width of a pencil and from my personal research I believe it's almost time to graft them. I personally believe it's too late to do grafting, so I'll let them grow until December of this year.

Back to my issue...

I want to know if it's okay to graft from my 1 foot Monoembryo sprout to my other 9" Monoembryo sprout. I've read that it's best to use a polyembryo as the stock and use a monoembryo as the scion. I've also read that it's the other way around. This is the Nes and Yo answers I've been getting. All I want is to be able to walk outside a few years from now and eat a nice mango that tastes like I bought it from Wal*Mart.

Comments (3)