SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bvgardener

My 2011 Gardening Season Status

BVGardener
13 years ago

Hello from south Texas.....it's been a while.

As I mentioned in another thread, it's been at least a couple of years since I've posted on any gardening forums and thought I would get back to posting again. To reflect on the past two years:

2009 was the year of raccoons and CMV. Both were devastating but even with that...I managed a decent harvest.

2010 the year that was not. This was my 2nd largest garden ever with a newly installed solar powered electric fence to keep the raccoons out and on April 26th, I lost the whole garden in a hail storm. Hail storms are fairly common in our area during the late spring season each year but we have never actually experianced one on our property until last year. The plants were literally stripped bare and it was too late in the season to replant so I just sat that season out.

And so here we are in 2011:

I don't have many plants in the garden this year. In fact, my garden is quite small compared to previous growing seasons. But due to disease/pest issues, I decided to move the garden and start fresh in a new area on my property. Due to my fence being constructed out of T-posts, I can easily expand and that is the plan for next year although my plans are to not go overboard with total number of plants anymore.

Here is a photo taken yesterday

{{gwi:1304884}}

The main reason for the smaller garden this year is I just did not have the energy nor the time to deal with a large number of plants. Between setting up a new fence, plumbing in water faucets, removing all weeds and grass, marking out the rows and preparing the soil, I just did not have the time.

Also, that building to the far right is a storage building that I converted into a potting shed. I have always wanted a designated area to manage seedlings and to grow transplants without using artificial light and this building allows me to do that. Plus I can keep all of my gardening tools and supplies in one area.

Here is another photo of the current garden:

{{gwi:1304885}}

I already have fruit set on a few varieties, Polish Dwarf, New Big Dwarf, Casey's Pure Yellow, Nyagous and Azoychka.

Thats all for now. More later....

Jay

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting