SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
simon_grow

Best Mango

simon_grow
14 years ago

Hello everyone, I'm tring to decide on the best mango variety to plant in San Diego, CA. It has a special micro climate and is considered zone 10, some say 9. My front yard has some space for a medium sized mango tree but I'm trying to narrow down which variety I want. I haven't tasted many of the mango varieties from PIN's list, but I have tried Kent and it is currently my favorite mango.

I went through many of the old threads trying to see what everone's opinions were on each cultivar and I know its a matter of personal preference but considering that I really like the Kent, please suggest a variety that you think I might like. I really want to plant an Edward but I'm afraid it won't produce here or I might have to wait many years for it to produce. I saw a new variety out called "Tebow" and was wondering if anyone has tasted this variety, maybe at a festival or something?

I only have enough room for one Mango tree and in order of preference, here is what I am considering:

Tebow, Edward, Kent, Gold Nugget, Alphonso, Nam Doc Mai. I know most my choices are listed as being large trees but I hope to keep it pruned to 20ft tall and 20ft wide. Is this possible? Thanks in advance!

Comments (22)