SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Does anyone have a spring routine?

Andrew Scott
13 years ago

I have only been growing tropicals now for 3 years but so far my tropical fruits look the best they have ever looked being indoors(minus the avocado which dropped most of its leaves when I sprayed it for white flies).

I also have learned a lot more when it comes to meeting there needs over my long cold NY winter.

What I wanted to know is do you guys have a spring routine with your fruit trees? ie, top dressing, specific fertilizers. I have seedweed extract and Alaskan fish emulsion. The fish emulsion, I bought because a good friend of mine told me that it is an excellent treatment for insect pests before you bring them in for the winter. I also have experimented with using it on the mango trees. I think Nancy had said that she uses it on her trees when there not blooming/fruiting.

What I worry about most is the trace minerals. I really don't know a lot about this stuff. For example, I know for plumerias, people use epsom salts. I have heard that epsom can be used on tropical fruit trees but growing in containers I don't know the ratio for application.

So besides the trace minerals, and fertilizers, is there anything else I should be doing? I know that pruning and repotting also fit in there but I have all ready repotted the fruit trees I can do now. I repotted the 'Lancetilla' mango into a 20 inch pot but only filled with soil half way to avoid problems with root rot.

The one tree that really has me puzzled right now is my Green Caimito from Top. At $80, it was the 3rd most expensive tree I bought, if I had to do it again I wouldn't have. I know that they sold the tree as an air layer, and the largest growth flush I have seen has been now with it being under the HPS light.

I am wondering if maybe the soil is the problem. I have not bothered to repot it since I got it because the roots have not even filled the pot yet.

I realize that I have asked more than one question but I would really appreciate the help. Especially with this damn caimito. I really don't want to get rid of it but I am not going to hold on to it if it doesn't grow well for me!

Andrew

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21