SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
djsgravely

Do I REALLY need to rotate crops?

djsgravely
17 years ago

Here's my situation: I have an organic garden plot that's about 40' x 60'. I've been growing in it and building the soil with tons of compost, compost tea, leaves, organic fertilizers like kelp meal, phosphate rock, greensand, etc. I've gotten outstanding results with almost all crops.

My question is based on crop rotation. I put in 24 heirloom tomato plants every year. I plant on 6' centers, so they take up a good percentage of the available space. Last summer we had some pretty brutal heat and humidity here in eastern PA, and some of my plants were affected by late blight, although not terribly so.

I can't really practice rotation, because there's not enough space to do so. (A lot of my garden is also devoted to permanent plantings of strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, asparagus, horseradish, etc.)

I'll put my plants up against anybody's for size, quality, and yield. Aside from a couple of instances of blight, which may have been unavoidable given the weather conditions (plenty of people around here lost all their plants while mine were still producing well), I'm not so sure that I have to worry about rotating crops as long as I amend the soil, mulch heavily, and basically do what I've been doing.

What do you think? Am I heading for an eventual crash if I keep growing tomatoes in essentially the same spot for a long time?

Comments (19)