SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hmhausman

Freeze of 2010

hmhausman
14 years ago

Thought I would make my own thread summarizing the Big Freeze so that I can search and find ot more easily in the future. Summarizing, there is good news and bad news. However, much more good news so far than bad news. Our low was 28 and change one morning with a frozen hose, frost and ice formed on water standing around the yard. The other days were warmer, but not by a lot. Today we have another cold front on the way, with a very minimal temp change in store, but the line of storms with the front dropped 2 inches of rain in a short period. Not sure what effect this will have on the yard. We had standing water for a good part of the day.

The worst news is the apparent loss of my newly purchased (and rather expensive) grafted mangosteen from Excalibur. I don't know what happened to it. I put it inside a small mother-in-law apartment we have in back. There was no heat on inside but it should have been warm enough to protect it, but something just made it very, very unhappy. All the leaves are brown, and the stems are shriveling. Having killed three prior grafted and many other mangosteen plantings, I know this to be the death knell of this, my sworn final attempt at growing a grafted mangosteen.

I have severely burned and now dropping leaves on coffee and malay apple.

Cacao's leaves were partially scorched and are pretty badly tattered. The fruits have a brown coloration to a good percentage of the exterior of the pods now and one is cracked. Not sure what this means for the future growth and maturing of these fruits.

I have one jakfruit that is showing freezing effects throughout its canopy. This is the J-30 x Tabouey. The leaves are not scorched brown, but they are all mis-positioned...not being held by the tree normally. I assume further damage will manifest itself on this tree. It has always been more cold sensitive than any other jakfruit I have. The remainder of my jakfruits, whether in ground or in pots are showing scorched tips on each branch, but no apparent damage to the main part of the tree or even the peripheral branches. Hopefully this burning on the ends will be just like a tip pruning and be overcome shortly in the next growth spurt. It does look like the sole remaining jakfruit fruit, from the off season fruiting of Rhien Baht, is history.....blackened from the cold.

Bananas look tattered and some with yellow leaves, but no significant damage. Newly exposed Goldfinger bananas were blackened. All other bananas in fruit with any size to them seem fine and without evidence of any damageat all.

Miracle fruit tree, which had a bunch of fruit, is showing bronzed and red colored leaves and the fruit are coming up with black spots and patches.

Tamarind has considerable leaf drop and some fruits blackening, but many of the fruits are retaining their brown natural color. Guanabanas are completely devoid of foliage. Other annonas are either leafless or leaves are brown and will be dropping shortly except for a rollinia I have that is remarkably still green and lush, with only the tips of each branch burned. I have some leaf burn on nutmeg, june plum, and mamey sapote. Some leaf loss on wax jambu. Abius are also burned about 2-3 inches on the ends of each branch.

Pineapples seem to be okay, unless they were newly planted and not yet rooted tops. These unrooted tops got scorched white.

Seedling durian (about a foot tall), survived with a towel over it with only the newest of leaves burning. It has rooted through the pot and into the ground, so I didn't want to disturb it.

The especially good news is that I see no damage so far on any mango (fruit being held by Edward, Rosigold and Martinez show no damage at all), lychee, longan, sapodilla, avocado, dragonfruit, citrus, loquat, grumichama, macadamia nut, carambola, fig, momoncillo, Indian jujube, jaboticaba, mulberry, canistel, feijoa, surinam cherry, mammee apple, green sapote, white sapote, or balck sapote.

Overall, in view of what could have been and what some of you have experienced, I am very thankful.

Comments (27)