SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaclv

One man's weed...

LisaCLV
19 years ago

The posting on African Tulip Tree and another one a while back on Miconia got me thinking about how one man's (or woman's!) weed is another's sought-after treasure. When I lived in California, people would actually buy Sensitive Plant (Mimosa pudica) and nurture it in a little pot just so they could touch the leaves and watch them fold up. Since moving to Hawaii, I've come to regard this thing as Evil Incarnate: it's highly invasive, its vicious little thorns poke your feet and rip your ankles to shreds as you walk on your lawn, and when you try to wack it, it just folds up and lies flat!

Here is a list of plants that the Hawaii Dept. of Land & Natural Resources considers bad news. I'm sure you'll find some of your favorites on there. In addition to the afore-mentioned African Tulip, included are several sp. of Hedychium, New Zealand Tree Fern, Ylang-ylang, Strawberry Guava, etc. etc. I think they're being a bit paranoid about some of it, about half the things on the list I've never even seen here and didn't think would grow in the tropics at all (Fuchsia??? Please...everybody I know who's tried growing them here loses them, it's just not cool enough except in the upper elevations) but some of it is very real-- our property is absolutely dense with Brassaia (Schefflera)and Christmasberry (Brazilian Pepper Tree), popping up everywhere. What pests!

-Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Invasive Species

Comments (23)