SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

Frame of New Hoop Building

I have almost completed my Bigger and Better hoop building. This is a shout out to all the people who told me last year to build my building bigger, you were correct. The small one worked, it worked so well that now bigger is better! Thanks, I am hooked on hoop buildings. If you have never used one, try them you will be amazed!

It is built out of 1 inch PVC pipe space on 3 foot centers. The side walls are 4 foot tall, I wish I could have gone higher, but with the wind we get, I didn't want to risk it. It is 18 by 42. The side walls are 2 by 4 spaced 10.5 feet apart and are attached to 4 by 4 posts buried 3.5 feet deep. There is a ridge pole that runs the length of the building that is bolted to the ribs. What you can't see is the cross bracing wires that run from the end to three ribs out and back to the other side of the end. I have these at both ends. I also added this same wire to the center posts running in opposite directions. The wire runs over the ridge pole. It takes a little head room, but it is only on the sides.I need to finish the endwalls and I am going to add several center supports, just to be safe. I am putting them in the rows so the will also serve as supports for the tomatoes. I will be adding the K-50 plastic within a week and I hope to be warming the soil as fast a possible.

I am surprised at how strong it is. I built a 12 by 18 hoop building last year and it stood the test of time, but it moves alot, this one is solid.

I am sure lots of people will say I should have done this or done that. I probably agree with everyone of you. However, this building is the brain child of the last 10-12 months of research and development. I had to use the materials I had and I was limited to a budget of $1,000 for both buildings. I am happy to say, I am still under budget! I wish I could have built it out of metal, but they just cost to much at this time. I also picked up the pipe for this building and another one of the same size for a quarter of the price of new. I could not say no to that deal. All in all, I will have 1600 square feet of growing space between the two of them.

On or before April 1st, I will be planting out 112 tomatoes in this structure in 4 rows on 18 inch centers. They will be covered with row cover. I am hoping to have tomatoes by early June. In my other building, I am going to be planting Cherry tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers. It will be interesting!

Check them out at my facebook Album below.

Thanks,

Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of Hoop Buildings

Comments (16)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio