SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bananafan

A sad sad day for my Lychee Mauritius ...

bananafan
14 years ago

I covered my Lychee Mauritius during our recent freeze with a huge piece of plastic and placed a clip lamp at the bottom of its trunk. I went inside the tent, it felt a lot warmer, so I thought it would turn out ok. I did that to my Sweetheart, Hak Ip and Brewster also. They were smaller plants and they turned out to be ok after the freeze except for my Lychee Mauritius. It's a sad scene to see almost all of its leaves burnt. It was doing so well before the freeze and there were even a lot of new flushes coming up. I planted it into the ground 3 years ago at 1.5 ft and it's the largest of all my lychees (standing at 8ft tall now). Now, my dream for it to fruit this year is all dashed. Fortunately, the leaves on the lower branches are ok and also the leaves on the inside branches. I cut a little piece of branch where the burnt leaves are and the branches look alive.

My question is, what should I do with the burnt leaves? Should I cut them all off? Do I trim the branches off also?

Anyway, here are the pictures. Your advice as to what I should do to my poor Lychee will be much appreciated.

Picture 1: Covered it with a thick plastic and it had a clip lamp of 100w light bub on during the freeze

Picture 2: Leaves on the bottom branches are ok ..

Picture 3: The leaves on the inner branches are saved.

Picture 4: The rest of the leaves on the tree are all dried up ..

BEFORE FREEZE PICTURES (Nov 11, 2009)

------------------------------

Showing lots of new flushes here:

Close up of the new flushes:

Comments (25)