SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Spicy Jatropha

jenn
17 years ago

I bought a plant marked 'Spicy Jatropha' at a plant sale extravaganza at the arboretum yesterday. It is a cutting taken from the mother plant in the seller's garden. I asked her about its growing needs and mature size. She said she grows two of them -- one in shade, one in sun. One gets more water than the other and gets a little bigger, but she said both get about 4'x4' (as described by her hand motions) and said it grows in sun or shade, but seems to like sun best.

I got home and did some research on this plant. Most of what I read said it gets MUCH bigger than 4'x4'. The Floridata site said there is a 'Compacta' variety that is smaller but still gets much larger than 4'x4'. I also read that it loves hot sun. We had a week of mid-20s last winter (normal low is low 30s) but she said hers have survived upper teens.

Here's a picture of the one I bought...

Since she said hers easily stays at about 4'x'4 I'm assuming I have the 'Compacta' variety (I hope so). If I'm correct, how big should I expect it to get at maturity?

I am considering trying it in a large pot next to the patio where it will get direct hot sun in the afternoon when the sun passes to the west of the patio cover.

If it likes being in the pot, then I can move the pot around to find the best sun exposure.

Assuming I have the 'Compacta' variety (or not), what is the best sun exposure and water needs for this plant in your experience? We have hot, dry summers (southern California).

Thanks,

Jen

Comments (4)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional