SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_b_in_wy

Interested in Cheyenne Horticultural Field Station Varieties

mrs.b_in_wy
14 years ago

The mission of our local research station (Cheyenne Horticultural Field Station, a.k.a. High Plains Grassland Research Station, a.k.a. Central Great Plains Field Station) has changed, but originally: "Congress directed the U.S. Department of Agriculture to establish the Station to experiment with and propagate flowers, vegetables, and shade, fruit, ornamental, and shelterbelt trees, shrubs and vines adapted to the conditions and needs of the semiarid or dry land regions of the U.S."

A few months ago, I asked the staff if they could find any information about the tomato varieties the station had released. Unfortunately, very few of the records remain, but, from a report written in 1971, the staff found:

Alpine - released 1949

Colorado Red - released 1955

Highlander - released 1966

CmUf 232 - released 1971 (They weren't sure about the name/spelling of the name of this one.)

The Heirloom Seedmen site shows Alpine and Colorad Red in the 1958 Gleckler's Seed catalog.

BackYard gardener has a page about Highlander.

Sand Hill lists Alpine, which I ordered to try this year. I hope to give some seedlings to the research station staff since they were so helpful and said they had such a good time looking things up.

Maybe it's silly, but I think it would be neat to have these tomatoes growing in Cheyenne again. Is anyone familiar with the other three varieties and/or know of a seed source for them?

Thank you!

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus