SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohiojay

Hydroponics experiment

ohiojay
16 years ago

Some of you may recall that I expressed some interest in experimenting with hydroponics. You always hear/read how fantastic growth rates are with plants grown hydroponically. So why not rare tropical fruit trees? I've searched and there's not many folks trying this unfortunately for me. So there's no one to soak up information from. Two people from the same local hydroponics shop each gave me conflicting ideas on solutions to add and results I may get. So I'm sort of on my own here. Start simple and build from there.

I put together a small, DIY aeroponics setup. I was able to keep the costs down somewhat. I wanted to try this with... you guessed it, mangosteen seedlings! The root systems are always so poor and contributes to such slow growth. What a perfect candidate for a process that claims such wonderful root development.

I took 8 mangosteen seedlings of various sizes. 4 seedlings stayed in soil while the other 4 went to the aero setup. I tried to do pairs of similar size to keep the comparison/experiment as realistic as possible. I took pictures of the plants and roots. I need to get a pic of the plant in the pot/medium to show where the roots are currently so I will know if there are any changes at all. Maybe I'll have monster mangosteens within a month or two!!! Naaah. I also started 4 muntigia cuttings to see if they would take root.

Observations so far after being setup and running one day. Not having the correct sized hole saws make the construction much more a pain in the butt. The misters do not mist as advertised. The lid does not stay tight enough to keep the spray from dripping out. Some kind of clamps are needed. Figure out your water heater BEFORE you see that instead of turning it down you keep turning it up! Water temp in the sump may be an issue on sunny days and in summer. This had better all work or I'm going to soccer kick this crap all the way down the street! I hope the plants aren't dead by the end of the week.

Here's a couple of pics of the setup. The air stone in bottom is putting out the bubbles. The pump/misters are not on in the pics. The foil is to keep water hitting the stones from spraying out.

Comments (20)