SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cottagegirl_tn

What have you tried to grow unsuccessfully but would like to?

cottagegirl_tn
13 years ago

I was thinking tonight of all the plants I've coveted in the yards of others, but when I have tried I have failed miserably! The death toll has risen much over the 20 years I've been gardening. Maybe someone can tell me what I do wrong with these plants?

hollyhocks- tried from seed and plants... only saw one bloom--ever!

azaleas- encores are about to be yanked..leaves are covered with brown rusty spots despite spraying last yr.

orange butterfly weed- come on, this thing grows in pastures for goodness sake!

lilacs- lovely leaves..no blooms!

cosmos- got a few weak stems and a handful of blooms--once

sweet william- not such a sweet fella...had stems/leaves and no blooms the following year

cleome- people complain about these being weedy...I'd love to see some weediness and blooms! I've sowed many seeds and had foliage and very sparse blooms if any bloom at all on some plants.

I have a nice mix of sunny areas and semi shade areas and I'm careful to read about a plant's requirements before planting. I have a nice soil mix..no heavy clay. There used to be a pig-pen where my flower garden is (lucky me!). Maybe I just get "bum seeds?" Anyway. If you have luck with any of these, please share your secrets. I just thought this would be a fun topic, I'm bored to tears and winter just started!

Jennifer

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets