SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
californian_gw

Hype or true about Pro-Mix BX with biofungicide?

californian
14 years ago

The advertising for this new kind of Pro-Mix BX or PGX with biofungicide makes it sound like the best seed starting and transplant growing medium there is. It is supposed to biologically stop damping off and kill many types of pathogens (see link) plus make the plant grow bigger and healthier. I bought some last year and let it sit out on my patio for a whole year, and then put it in a big tub just before we got the first big rain in four years which put it underwater and turned it into soup. But I used it anyway and got good results and no damping off even though the seed starting medium was saturated, but I don't know if that would have happened with other seed starting media. It says in the advertising that the bacteria can live for two years, so hope it is right. Supposedly once the roots get inoculated they are innoculated for the life of the plant even when you transplant it into the garden. I know a lot of you have used the Promix BX with mycorize, but how many have used the stuff with biofungicide which is supposed to be better. Have you done any side by side comparisons with other seed starting mixtures? The stuff is expensive, list price $31.66 for a 3.8 cubic foot compressed bale, but I sweet talked the salesman into giving me a commercial discount so I got it for $25.33. I estimate one bale would fill a little over a hundred 4 inch square pots so that would come out to about a quarter a pot for cost of potting mix. Can anyone verify is really does prevent damping off? BTW, the PGX is fine grind for starting seeds, but my dealer doesn't carry it with biofungicide so I had to settle for the coarser BX that has annoying chunks of wood in it that have to be picked out if you are using it for seed starting. I may mix the BX and PGX together, or use a base of BX covered with PGX.

http://www.premierhort.com/eProMix/Horticulture/Products/GrowingMediaCat/Biofungicide/fSubtilex.htm

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH