SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tracydr

How many tomatoes should I plant?

tracydr
14 years ago

2 person household (hubby and me), we eat mostly vegetable based meals or meat meals with lots of veggies. I'm also planting eggplant, okra, zukes, armenian cucumber, maybe a few melons and several pepper variaties.

Haven't decided on corn.

My goals for tomatoes is to have enough to eat at each meal, enough to put up (canning, frozen and dried) for a years worth of tomatoes.

Remembering that this is Phoenix so I will probably get tomatoes for a short spring season, die off and another batch for a short fall season, with maybe some extra hardy cherries for the summer heat.

I'm planning on 50 with plenty of cherries and Beam's yellow plum to carry us through summer (and to cook/can yellow plum during heat of summer, assuming it can handle it), but I can plant more. For some reason, my canning seedlings... San Marzano and Andes seedlings for canning died off, even though all other varieties did great.

My garden is in the shade for the morning until about 2pm, gets some afternoon sun and than in the shade again for the evening. This should work pretty well to keep it from getting totally overbaked in the heat of the summer. This is a new garden plot and the sun is the complete opposite of last years. I'll still have a couple in the previous garden as well.

So, 50 plants or should I plant 10-20 more, just to make sure they're coming out my ears? I do make a lot of tomato based sauces, pizzas, salsa, eggplant parmesan, tomato/basil salad, etc.

I also have some concern about buying canned tomatoes from the store, have heard about some health concerns with this so would like to get to the point of being entirely self sufficient from a tomato stand-point.

Thanks!

Comments (23)