SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pumpkinhead1961_gw

Which varieties are you growing this year??

pumpkinhead1961
17 years ago

Just wondering what everyone is gonna try this year. It's been several years since I last grew tomatoes. I'm starting 214 plants. I plan on selling enought to cover my costs and giving the rest away to family and friends.

The varieties I chose this year are:

********Cherry Types********

>Yellow Currant

>Red Currant

>Yellow Pear

>Red Pear

>Tumbler Hybrid

>Yellow Cherry

>Gold Nugget

>Isis Candy

>Green Cherry

>Chocolate Cherry

********Other Types********

>Marglobe

>Mortgage Lifter

>Big Rainbow

>Yellow Jubilee

>Kellogg's Breakfast

>Tangerine

>Jaune Flammee

>Green Zebra

>Aunt Ruby's German Green

>Black Krim

Happy Gardening All,

John

Comments (95)

• stquack
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Super Big boy
    Roma
    Better Boy Hy
    Big Boy
    Fourth of July

• vtguitargirl
    17 years ago

I'm trying to keep it simple:

Pruden's Purple
    Cherokee Purple
    Polish
    Burpee's Buck's County Hybrid
    Rutgers

• Related Discussions

What watermelon varieties are you growing this year?

Q

Comments (54)
    Just thought I'd post a quick follow-up. I actually got some ripe melons this year. Most of them were tiny though. Maybe i planted too many close together. Oh, well. It was still fun. It's been hard to identify which ones did the best, since i planted them all landrace style (And hoping for some to cross). Anyway, the best red variety goes to Blacktail Mountian by far. I had a few other reds, but i don't know what varieties. Some of the reds seemed like they were struggling to ripen though too. Whats surprising is that i got quite a few yellow ones. And i'm not sure if it was my imagination or not, but the yellow ones seem to be able to ripen much easier than the reds. Plus they tasted better. I had three different yellow varieties (because they all had different sized and colored seeds). Yellow-Doll is a strong possibility. Hopi Yellow is another. Tohono O'odham Yellow Meated? Desert King? (i dont think i saw any Desert King based on pictures of the rind, but who knows) Maybe even Orangelo, but i only saw yellow, not orange. The worst melon was "Malali" (or possibly "Osh Kirgizia", but i think it was "Malali". It was a splitter! Not only that, but they kept splitting way before they were ripe! It had very distinctive pattern on rind. Very round. Will not grow this type again. Still if i had to recommend two varieties for Northern or Colorado gardens, they would be Blacktail Mountain and Yellow Doll. (i still suspect the yellows ripen better).
    ...See More

Any varieties from last year that you won't be growing this year?

Q

Comments (6)
    I had Kelvin Floodlight from 2 different sources and the one I had purchased from a local nursery really looked nothing like the tuber I had received in a trade. The flower never looked as full and the petals would often turn brown. I tossed that one. My Candlelight from Swan Island rarely looks as pretty as it does in the catalog. Mostly it looks like dirty yellow but once it awile it throws a nice orange/yellow blend. I don't really love it but I keep planting it every year, probably because it is the first one to bloom every summer and it seems to store very well since I have had that one for years. As for the late bloomers, I plan on starting the biggest AA's in the house in late March. I did that with Show N Tell last year and it was blooming profusely by July. I made a list of the ones I'm going to start early. I don't have room to start them all or I would. As for your Citron Du Cap, I would love to trade you something for that one. I have been eyeing that one for a few years and would like to try it. I have quite a few dahlias in storage and hopefully will have a lot of varities to trade in the spring. If you're interested, you can email me on my member page. Linda
    ...See More

which variety of tomato is least likey to fail?

Q

Comments (2)
    coeng, do you have any idea how many hours of direct sunlight the area will receive? I used to grow tomatoes just a foot from the east (brick) wall of a 2-story house. So those tomatoes had sun from the NE IL summer sunrise until noon. They did well, even though they received nowhere near the amount of direct sun tomatoes are supposed to require. There's also something called "bright shade." I have some experience with that (daylilies flowering where they shouldn't have), but I don't know how "bright shade" is defined. A few years back, there was a regular poster here whose Minnesota property was mostly dappled shade -- and with neighbors' trees he couldn't trim. He knew how much sunlight each square foot of that yard received, tucked his tomato plants into the sunniest spaces -- without regard for the landscaping -- and as I remember, had a fairly good harvest. === Tomatoes crack for different reasons. Some varieties (usually with thinner skin) are prone to certain patterns of cracking. So there are varieties you wouldn't want to buy. But if you dislike thick skin, your tomatoes will probably have more cracking. Are you starting from seed this year, or will you buy seedlings again? Which varieties did you grow last year, and which varieties are your options this year? When soil moisture is inconsistent, nearly all varieties are much more likely to crack. So to limit this type of cracking, keep soil moisture as consistent as possible. Mulching heavily helps (and also helps prevent disease-causing microorganisms from splashing onto the leaves). [You can use almost anything for mulch, including shredded office paper, newspapers, or straw.] When there is suddenly a great increase in soil moisture, fruit tend to "burst." So when there's a forecast of a good rain, pick all the fruit which have begun to show yellow (the "breakers" stage), and ripen them inside. This will not affect their taste. Oh -- and sun isn't necessary to ripen them indoors.
    ...See More

What to variety to grow next year?

Q

Comments (24)
    This was our first year growing heirlooms (last year was all hybrids). We are not (yet) seed savers and got our seed this year from Baker Creek. Mortgage Lifter has been a big hit. My mom said it reminded her of tomatoes from the garden when she was young. Berkely Tie Dye- these guys are so cool looking but so far we have not been crazy about the taste. They are a little watery and flavorless. We also have a ton of deeply cracked ones. Amish Paste - this plant is bigger than the rest for us and pumping out tons of beautiful paste tomatoes. Purple Bumblebee - cherry tomato that we will probably not grow again. Not our favorite cherry tomato flavor but really pretty fruits. Black Krim - to be determined. There are quite a few fruits on the vine but most aren't ripe yet. We also grew Big Beef which are not an heirloom but have been large, delicious, and plentiful.
    ...See More
  • gonefishin
    17 years ago

Thus far: (Those with * after the name are from seed I saved.)

It is not all that unusual for someone to give me a few plants, or trade some with me, or for me to find some that I can't live without at a nursery, feed store or box store.

Maxifort root stock
    Mr. Bruno's Tomato (an Aussie family heirloom)
    Christmas Grape
    Big Zac
    Burpee Porterhouse Beefsteak
    Brandy Boy Hybrid
    Box Car Willie
    Ugly
    Jet Star
    Bramdywine Sudduth.

Cherokee Purple*
    Aunt Gerties Gold*
    Neves Azorean Red*
    "Amish" Big Rainbow*
    Big Beef
    Merced*
    Red Brandy Wine*
    Mortgage Lifter*
    Super Steak

• daddylonglegs
    17 years ago

Wow, what a thread!!
    Many of us have similar tastes.
    I'm planting:

Virginia '63
    Mortgage Lifter
    Brandywine
    Cherokee Purple
    Green Zebra
    Earl's Faux
    Pineapple
    Opalka
    Celebrity

• pinkzinnia
    17 years ago

I was so proud of myself for getting my list down to 16 varieties - and then one of the companies I ordered seeds from sent me a free seed packet ;)

Riesentraube
    Tommie Toe (the freebie)
    Green Zebra
    Aunt Ruby's German Green
    Kellogg's Breakfast
    Earl of Edgecombe
    Azoychka
    Heidi
    San Marzano
    Paul Robeson
    Black from Tula
    Cherokee Purple
    Eva Purple Ball
    Carbon
    Stupice
    Traveler 76
    Super Sioux

I'll be growing these in home-made self-watering tubs...

• moosemac
    17 years ago

EARLY
    Bloody Butcher
    Juliette Hybrid-Ferry Morse
    Matina

MID-SEASON
    Black Krim
    Brandy Boy
    Eva Purple Ball
    Oplaka
    Paul Robeson

LATE SEASON
    Cherokee Purple
    Marianna's Peace
    Orange Russian 117
    Persimmon
    Stump of the World

CHERRY
    Black Cherry
    Ceylon
    Dr. Carolyn
    Sunsugar
    Wild Cherry

• phantom_white
    17 years ago

BLACK FROM TULA
    ROUGHWOOD GOLDEN TIGER
    STRIPED CAVERN
    KELLOGGS BREAKFAST
    JEFFS MYSTERY OXHEART
    PONDEROSA RED
    GRANDFATHER ASHLOCK

That's all for the moment... unless I get some more seeds.

• julieann_grow
    17 years ago

I just have to say that I am so jealous of those of you with long lists!

• pumpkinhead1961
    Original Author
    17 years ago

THE PLOT THICKENS !!!
    After confirming that a certain seed company (who shall still remain nameless) had accidently cancelled my order, lo and behold, the seeds arrive in the mail! A couple of weeks behind schedule, but I still planted them.
    Therefore my list is back to my original posting plus one freebie:

>Raad Red

Maybe next year I'll order my seeds in january.

That's it for now,
    John

• loveapplefarm
    17 years ago

To vaccinium-hound: I am indeed selling seedlings this year (not seeds). My website is just down due to me stupidly deleting it. I'll get it up again soon.

• vaccinium_hound
    17 years ago

Oh, cool.

• Soeur
    17 years ago

Too many, as usual. :)

* = trying for first time this year.

Kimberly*
    Earl's Faux
    local strain of Belgium
    Caspian Pink
    Brandywine OTV
    Cherokee Purple
    Mortgage Lifter VFN
    Chapman*
    Richardson*
    Tidwell German*
    Brandy Boy
    Beefy Boy
    Eva Purple Ball
    Mule Team
    Box Car Willie
    Arkansas Traveler
    Bradley
    Carbon
    Marianna's Peace
    Black Plum*
    Super Marzano
    Opalka
    Amish Paste
    Rocky*
    Federle

• bigdaddyj
    17 years ago

Hi. I see you have Chapman on your list. I ordered mine from TGS. They were back ordered and I got them a few weeks later than the rest. I am curious if you are having germination problems with them? I have had zero germinate out of about 15 seeds after 14 days. Doesn't look good. I want to add that this is unusual because TGS usually sells good seed. How were they for you?

• Soeur
    17 years ago

Hey, bigdaddyj. My Chapman seed came late, too, and I planted them 5 days ago. Too early to say whether they'll germinate, but I'm unhappy to hear there may be problems. I've always had great results with TGS and consider them a top quality seed source, unlike some other "big tomato name" suppliers I've tried. I'll repost in a week or so about germination of Chapman, whether they show up or not.

Oh, on your "Boy" list you forgot 'Boi Boy', a favorite with the hip-hop crowd. :-)

• bigdaddyj
    17 years ago

Great, I appreciate the feedback. I also started the remaining seeds about 5 days ago like you. So we can compare. I have no idea why my first batch never took. I had good germination on all other varieties and Chapman was in there with the rest.

'Boi Boy' is on next year's list. LOL

• thistle5
    17 years ago

I'm lucky, my local nursery gets in about 10-20 varieties, I'll plant whatever catches my eye. Didn't have a good tomato year last year, the only one that produced was Sungold & boy, was it productive! I'll definitely have 1 or more Sungolds this year-I plan on splitting my plants between earthboxes & in the ground...

• happyskunk
    17 years ago

This is what I have for this year but I will likely add a few more

Green Giant
    Wolford Wonder
    Clockman's
    Kellogg's Breakfast
    Eyolf's Farm Stand Polish
    Richardson
    Japanese Oxheart
    German Red Strawberry
    Purple Russian
    Aunt Ginny's Purple
    Lucky Cross
    Carbon
    Bulgarian #7
    Rose Quartz Multiflora
    Black Cherry
    Cabernet
    Washington Cherry
    Tess's Land Race Currant
    Sun Gold
    Gajo de Melon
    Southport
    Lucky Leprechaun
    Russian 117
    Principe Borghese

I have my eyes on some others in the Seed Savers Book

:,)

• foose4string
    17 years ago

Started mine this morning, mostly stuff that did well for me in the past. Was not impressed with many of the heirlooms I tried last year, but did manage to keep some.

Brandy Boy-
    My favorite all around tomato so far. Good vigor, great tasting tomatoes. This one is hard to beat.

Brandywine(Burpee)-
    Whatever strain this is, it does well. The variety appears to be true to the name. I actually get some nice fruit from it, great taste.

Brandywine Sudduth's-
    Couldn't get these seeds to germinate last year, but then again,I didn't try very hard either. Threw them in some nasty, sawdust like peat pellets long after the other seeds had already been started. They never woke up. Will try in earnest this year, want to compare side by side to the Burpee.

Mortgage Lifter- Another favorite. VERY large tomatoes with excellent taste.

Better Boy-
    Was very disappointed with them last year. Move over Better Boy, there's a new kid in town, and his name is Brandy Boy! Started a few just as an insurance policy, I'll have a few to give away if nothing else.

Early Girl-
    She's got vigor, decent size, prolific, early(duh!), and tastes pretty good(for an early that is).

Rutgers-
    Started these for my mother-in-law. Not a favorite of mine, but it's a tomato. Not much to say here.

Big Beef- It's a beefsteak. Not much production last year which surprised me for a Hybrid. giving it a second chance to see if it was a fluke. Got better production from Mortgage Lifter and Brandywine, believe it or not!

Delicious-
    New for me this year. We'll see how it goes.

Maryland Large Red-
    New this year. These were a complimentary pack of seeds that were with my Sandhill order last year. Figured I'd give them a shot and see how well they fair in the State they were named after.

• yardenman
    17 years ago

Lots of responses, but I'll add mine anyway...

6 Red Brandywine
    2 Cherokee Purple
    2 Caspian Pink
    2 Prudens Purple
    2 Big Beef
    1 Sweet Million Cherry

This may be the last year I try Prudens Purple, though. It seems a bit bland and it is hard to tell when to pick it. I think I will try to pick them before they seem "ripe" this year. I'll blame myself for past years and give it one last chance.

• pajohnso
    17 years ago

Okay, here is my list:

Ananas Noir
    Anna Russian
    Aunt Gertie's Gold
    Azoychka
    Banana Legs*
    Black Cherry*
    Black from Tula
    Black Pear
    Black Sea Man
    Blondkopfchen
    Cherokee Purple
    Coustralee
    DePinto
    Dr. Carolyn
    Druzba
    Eva Purple Ball
    First Pick
    Garden Peach
    German Johnson
    German Red Strawberry
    Hillibilly
    Jaune Flamme
    Kellog's Breakfast
    Livingston's Favorite
    Livingston's Golden Ball
    Money Maker
    Mortgage Lifter
    Persimmon**
    Polar Beauty
    Powell's Early Large Red**
    Red Pear
    Silvery Fir Tree
    Stupice
    Yellow German
    Yellow Pear

*These I am growing again becuase I loved them so much last year
    **These I am saving seeds because they were my two favorites and I don't have many seeds left. The Persimmon seeds came from William Woys Weaver via SSE, they are seeds from 2001 but they are the first to germinate every year and the tomatoes are awesome. The Powell's Early Large Red seeds came from Tomato Bob as a freebie for ordering so many seeds and I would love to get my hands on some more. This tomato actually tasted like a BLT, no kidding, I asked several people to try it and they all said it tasted like bacon. I am hoping this flavor stays true this year so I can "make" my own seeds.

Anyway, I got all my little seed babies in baggies right now and they are happily germinating away. Can't wait to fire up the greenhouse!!!

Paula

• clermont_ohio
    17 years ago

Thanks, foose4string, for providing one of more useful responses since reasons were given, not just a list.

Anyone have recommendations for a cherry type? Last year we grew sweet million (good, but not a lot of numbers) and yellow pear (OK, but sometimes bland and crack-prone).

Anyone have recommendations for a Brandywine replacement? They grew great for us last year and for the most part tasted good, but many of them had sections that rotted and bordering areas tasted like plastic.

• naplesgardener
    17 years ago

I live in S. Florida and grow tomatoes Sept thru June.
    I've just finished the first round and started on the second season so I'm either ahead of northern gardens or way behind.

Sept thru February grow list-in order of preference

Brandywine
    Many large and delicious tomatoes

Floradade
    hybrid-determinate-very good early and heavy output

Sungold
    hybrid-great cherry

Black Pear
    outstanding taste-would rate higher except low yield

Principe Borghese
    nice for pot growing-great taste and productive

Sweet 100 (may have been Sweet Million I forget)
    incredible output

Persimmon
    super taste and texture-somewhat low yield and slow ripening (Florida winter)

Peacevine
    I like Sweet 100 more

Solar Set
    nice production but Floradade was better

Florida 91
    Floradade was better

Nyagous
    okay but Black Pear far better

Crnkovic
    BIG tomatoes but I like them firmer/denser

Stupice
    nothing special

Purple Russian
    pretty tomato but flavor was nothing special

Micro Tom
    a stupid idea I had to try

Yellow Pear cherry
    pretty but I won't grow again-there are better yellows

Sasha's Altai
    low production-I may try again later

Egyptian
    an ebay purchase-nothing special

Nepal
    low production-maybe bad location-I'll try again

Costaluto Genovese
    I don't think it likes cool weather-try warmer season

Here are the tomatoes growing February to June:

Abe Lincoln
    Black Cherry
    Black Krim
    Bloody Butcher (F-A-S-T grower)
    Box Car Willie
    Brandy Boy
    Burbank
    Caspian Pink
    Cherokee Chocolate
    Cherokee Purple
    Cosmonaut Volkov
    Delicious
    Druzba
    Early Goliath hybrid
    Early Swedish
    Glasnost
    Hillbilly
    Kellog's Breakfast
    Kimberly
    Krasnodar Titans
    Large Pink Bulgarian
    Opalka
    Siberia
    Sophie's Choice
    Stump of the World

I have to be ruthless in choosing any to regrow because I still have a lot of different seeds (and a very small yard) to continue growing out to find which are best for my climate -so I expect next years list to be 90% different.

Denise in Naples

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

Hi,
    I posted this somewhere else, but I thought I would post here too : )
    I got my seeds planted today. I still hadn't made up my mind until last night. It is the same every year, lol!

Ones I plant every year:
    Azoychka
    Carbon
    Pruden's Purple(Yardenman, something is wrong if they have no flavor!)
    Stump of the World

Have grown before:
    Germaid Red
    Polish Linguisa
    Tomatillo-I planted late and freak snow storm killed as they were riping
    Ground Cherry- same fate as tomatillo

The rest:
    unknown Amish from 79 year old neighbor
    Amish Old Red-to compare with unknown Amish
    Ananas Noire
    Aunt Ginny's Purple
    Box Car Willie- the real one
    Believe It or Not
    Berkley Tie Dye
    Burracker's Favorite
    Cherokee Green
    Depp's Pink Firefly
    Doctor Lyle
    Earl's Faux
    Early Red-old seeds want to see if I get any to grow
    Gardener's Delight
    Ham Green Favorite
    Italian Red Pear Gransasso Strain
    Kanner Hoell
    Livingston's Favorite
    Lucky Cross
    Mountain Princess
    Neve's Azorean Red
    New Big Dwarf
    Orlovskie Rysaki
    Polish Dwarf
    Polish Giant
    Purple Calabash
    Purple Hillbilly
    Rio Grande

I think that is it.
    Remy

• phantom_white
    17 years ago

Lol. Got some more seeds. So here's the updated list.

Striped Cavern
    Roughwood Golden Tiger
    Black from Tula
    Jeff's Mystery Oxheart
    Grandfather Ashlock
    Ponderosa Red
    Great White
    Ananas Noire
    Cherokee Green

No Kellogg's Breakfast... seeds never got to me. :(

• kevokie
    17 years ago

Here are the ones that I am gonna be putting in the ground for sure:

Amish Paste
    Kelloggs Breakfast (sp?)
    Polish
    Brandywine Sudduth
    Cherokee Purple
    Early Girl
    Big Beef
    Old Italian
    Italian Heirloom
    Brown Berry
    Black Krim
    Black From Tula
    Super Sweet 100
    Rutgers
    Mortgage Lifter
    Big Red
    Arkansas Traveler
    Thessaloniki

Others that I might plant:
    Roma
    Giant Beefsteak
    Campari (saved seeds)
    Lemon Boy

I don't have much room but I am gonna give it my all to find room to plant them.

• gardengirlie
    17 years ago

So excited, have about 170 plants in the greenhouse now!
    Sungold
    Black Krim
    Yellow Pear
    Gold Nugget
    Manitoba
    Oregon Star
    Red Currant
    Snow White,cherry
    Sugary
    Big Rainbow
    Hey, where does the Large Black Pear come from? Isaw it on somebody's list and haven't heard of it before, I want to try it!!!

• tomgirletc
    17 years ago

Provided that I have enough room after I build raised beds in my new house, one plant each:

Anna Russian
    Aunt Gertie's Gold
    Aunt Ruby's German Green
    Azoychka
    Brandywine Sudduth
    Carmello
    Cherokee Purple
    Earl's Faux
    Green Giant
    Isis Candy
    Lime Green Salad
    Matina
    Opalka
    Paul Robeson
    Rutgers
    Sun Gold

I will be buying my plants from Laurel's Heirlooms, provided that she still has everything I want when I buy. I've yet to save or start seeds and this is not a good year for me to start with everything else going on. Hopefully will be able to bag some flowers on the OP's this year and start that fun stuff. Will probably even save from unbagged flowers to "see what happens".

• foose4string
    17 years ago

I just couldn't leave well enough alone! Added a few more to the list today. Had the seed already and figured they deserved a second shot, too many good things said not to. And hey, I have the room.

Cherokee Purple
    Kelloggs Breakfast

Big time BER for those two last year, didn't get a single tomato from either one.

Livingston Favorite-
    new this year, another freebie from last year's Sandhill order

Jet Star-
    Checked the seed display while I was at Lowes today, like I need more seeds???? Supposedly a good early tomato

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

Here's what I'm about to start today for me and family:

Aunt Gertie's Gold
    Earl's Faux
    Early Girl VFF
    Eva Purple Ball
    Marianna's Peace
    Opalka
    San Marzano
    Snow White Cherry

Ironically, I've never started Early Girl from seed before - the years that I grew it in the past. I always bought the plants, so this will be different. LOL It was a tough choice not to grow Cherokee Purple or Big Beef this year but I wanted to try a couple new 'maters and peppers.

• atash
    17 years ago

>>Matina Great tasting early tomato but I always have germination problems with it.

You might try getting seed from Territorial Seed Company. Extras I had from last year gave me 100% germination this year, which is better performance than seeds from another source I bought from. I wasn't counting on that so I ordered a few mailorder as insurance. Now I probably have plenty.

Amazing to see other people's extensive lists. I'll have to squeeze my own in as it is. As for those of you with short lists...my mother still brags about her couple potted plants on her apartment patio...tended so carefully...so don't feel bad. Since the last time this thread came up, I've added to my list which is currently...

Gardner's Delight (welcome back)
    White Queen (new)
    Aunt Ruby's German Green (welcome back)
    Eva Purple Ball (new)
    Earl of Edgecomb (new)
    Clint Eastwood's Rowdy Red (new)
    Sunset's Red Horizon (new)
    Matina (trying again...6 from old seed, 4 bought plants)
    Ananas Noire (new, bought plant)
    Pineapple (welcome back, bought plants)
    John Allen (new, a "German Striped" type, but with a smaller fruit that I am hoping will ripen better in my cool climate)

I'm going to try to carefully save seed from types I like, because some of them gave me poor germination, and at least John Allen is too obscure to rely on being able to buy seed in the future.

I'm also going to try to talk my friends and relations into taking a few extra plants. None of them grow heirloom or open-pollinated tomatoes and I suspect they will be in for a pleasant surprise as regards flavor.

• txaggiegardener
    17 years ago

first garden at my new house. starting off with just some basic variety transplants from the local store.

celebrity
    merced
    patio
    big boy
    mr. stripey

• tomato_jam
    17 years ago

I always enjoy reading everyone else's lists - it always makes me think "Darn, have to remember that one for next year..."

Requests from various friends that I can't convince to start or save seeds (maybe I should tell them I'm going to cut them off this year if they don't at least try it):

Crimson Cushion
    Heidi
    Heinz 1350
    Ildi
    Hillbilly Potato Leaf
    Peron Sprayless
    Sioux

For us:

Amish Paste
    Andes
    Bisignano #2
    Box Car Willie
    Butler Skinner (local family)
    Depp's Pink Firefly
    Ernesto
    German Red Strawberry
    Jaune Flammee
    Peacevine Cherry
    Polish Linguisa
    Rebecca Sebastian's Bull Bag (local family, first year - probably just Bull Heart or Pink Oxheart)
    Spears Tennessee Green
    Stupice
    Verna Orange
    Yellow Bell

Julie

• douglas14
    17 years ago

Here's my lineup:
    Fox Cherry
    German Lunchbox Cherry
    Patio Orange
    Nyagous
    Rose
    Earliana
    Martino's Roma
    Granny Cantrell's German Red
    Polish
    Levino
    Red Brandywine
    Angelo's Red
    Heidi
    Ernie's Plump
    Urbikany

All have germinated. I started them on St. Patrick's Day(Mar. 17).

Douglas

• nwl_me
    17 years ago

4th of July
    Beefmaster
    Beefsteak
    Better Boy
    Big Boy
    Big Beef
    Black From Tula
    Black Krim
    Bloody Butcher
    Box Car Willie
    Burpee Longkeeper
    Bush Celebrity (dependable)
    Cherokee Chocolate
    Cherokee Purple
    Cold Set (dependable)
    Farthest North
    Glacier
    Heinz 1439 (for homemade ketchup)
    High Country
    Hughs
    IPK T 612
    Kotlas
    Large Red Cherry
    Nothern Light
    Odessa
    PI 296370
    Pink Ping Pong
    Rutgers Select
    Sasha's Altai
    Sibirskii Ranospelii
    Stupice
    Super Sweet 100
    Urbikany

Plus a bunch of unknowns from the market & friends and a couple of strains that I am trying to develop through selective breeding.

• rgvnewf
    17 years ago

Seems like just about everyone here is growing Kellogg's Breakfast. What's the appeal (as I have never grown this one)? It does not seem that too many people are growing any of the "oxheart" varieties--why not? My main crop tomato is one called Miracle Sweet. I find it consistent from year to year, producing 5-7oz fruit that never split.

• prosodygardener
    17 years ago

Green Zebra
    Jaune FLammee
    Pink Brandywine
    Mr. Stripey
    Black Prince

These are all from seeds I saved last year. All have germinated *yay!* Has anyone ever tried Blue Fruit?

• pajohnso
    17 years ago

Gardengirlie -- My Black Pear seeds came from Sustainable Mountian Agriculture (Bill Best). The website is www.heirlooms.org. Here is what he says about the Black Pear which is why I wanted to try it:

Black Pear: One of the best of the black tomatoes; pear shaped with a complex flavor; six to eight ounces.

He doesn't have online ordering, you have to send in your order/money but I order from there every year and it is well worth it. Good Luck!

Paula

• ecoberryfarm
    17 years ago

Arkansas Traveler
    Siberia
    Opalka
    Speckled Roman
    Amish Paste
    Ananas Noire
    Cherokee Green
    Great White
    Kelloggs Breakfast
    Principe Borghese
    Mikarda Sweet
    Rose
    Paul Robeson
    Riesenstraube
    Gardeners Delight
    Peacevine
    Ferris Wheel
    Mrs Maxwell Big Italian
    Mariannas Peace
    Campbells 1327
    Brandwine Red (standard leaf)
    Carbon
    Purple Calabash
    Indian Stripe
    Thessaloniki

• helena_handbasket
    17 years ago

My January experiment under lights.. Hopefully I'll get some ready to ripen as soon as it's warm enough to put them out.
    Micro tom
    Red Robin
    Yellow canary
    Tiny tim
    Florida petite
    Patio hybrid
    Florida Basket

Germinating now for putting out may 30th:
    Yellow pear
    Red Pear
    Super sweet 100
    Stupice
    Sub artic
    Isis candy
    Sun sugar
    Bloody butcher
    Tumbler
    Sugary
    and 1 or 2 that I can't resist at the local nursery....

• trudi_d
    17 years ago

I typed up my list last night--it's mostly determinates this year.

Big Beef
    Black Krim
    Burbank Red Slicing
    Bush Celebrity
    Campbell's 1327
    Carnival
    Charbarysky
    Cosmonaut Volkov
    Costoluto
    Crimson Carmello
    Elios
    Golden Queen
    Green Bush Italian
    Heinz 1439
    Katrina
    Kimberly
    La Rossa
    Marammeno
    Marglobe
    Matina
    Moscow
    Mountain Belle
    Nebraska Wedding
    Oregon Spring
    Patio Cherry
    Persimmon
    PetroPride II
    Principe Borghese
    Raad Red
    Rutger's
    Siletz
    Sub-Arctic Plenty
    Sugar Baby
    Sunjay
    Super Marmande
    Taxi
    Thai Pink Egg
    Tiny Tim
    Tommy Toes
    Treasured Memories
    Wayahead

• kubotabx2200
    16 years ago

Planted today here in zone 5b, southern New Hampshire.

I have raised beds and the next 10 days are forecast warm weather & fair so taking a slight risk. The traditional planting day here is Memorial Day weekend.

Brandywine
    Belgian Giant
    Yellow Brandywine
    Beefmaster

that's it. No cherry tomatoes at all this year and no early varieties. I have had enough of them. I expect that grape tomatoes will spring up near the compost heap all by themselves.

We are down to 30 tomato plants this year so I limited it to large or giant varieties. This is half of what I had last year. The rest of the garden is dedicated to other vegetables including a lot of Asian vegetables. I actually prefer Lemon Boy to the yellow Brandywine but I could not find them this year. Last year I grew Celebrity they were nice shaped fruit, tasted nice and good yield -- but I want something better tasting and more variety. I wanted at least 1 VFN hybrid (Beefmaster) as insurance.

The compost that I have been curing for 2 years and carefully sifted is unbelievable I put about 3" of it on the garden last month and every scoop I dig brings up an earthworm.

• amelie_danjou
    16 years ago

Wow! You guys are maniacs! Clearly some of you have a lot of space - no 30 tomato plants in my suburban backyard. I'm abandoning Yellow Pear this year - my plant got way over 6 feet tall and was crazy productive - couldn't give them all away. What do you all do with so many plants? Are you all canning? Cool.
    Well, I've got 15 plants started from seed, and will have to give some away- don't have room.
    Just 4 varieties, most new for me:
    Marianna's Peace (it was free!)
    Paul Robeson (love opera, couldn't pass up the name)
    Golden Girl
    Brandywine Red, Landis (haven't had great production from brandys in the past, am hoping this is better)

Forgot to start Green Zebra, but my oldest son (8) who loved it last year said he doesn't like them anymore.

I second the earlier posted question: What's with the Kelloggs Breakfast? What kind is it, beefsteak?

Amelie

• kubotabx2200
    16 years ago

Kellogg's Breakfast is a beefsteak type but they are orange fruit. They do good in southern climates not so great in the north despite the name. In the north it is better to grow Brandywine like you are doing. I am growing the original pink Brandywine (potato leaf) and the yellow Brandywine this year.

• mike1970
    16 years ago

This is my first year starting seeds myself. I have space for 30 - 40 plants. More if I dig up more of the lawn. ;)

I started 9 types:

Black Krim
    Czech's Excellent Yellow
    Brandywine
    Green Zebra
    Red Zebra
    Opalka
    Stupice
    Italian Heirloom
    Gold Medal

I also plan on picking up a few Cherokee Purple, Sweet 100 and Sungold plants from local sources.

Mike

• kubotabx2200
    16 years ago

I have 2200 square feet of garden. Last year it was 60 tomato plants pleanted: this year I cut it back to 30. Too many other vegetables besides tomatoes that need the space.

• thistle5
    16 years ago

I have-
    in the Earthboxes-Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, Anna Russian, Orange Oxheart, Old German, & German Johnson

in the ground-Ildi, Yellow Pear, Grape, Brandywine, Yellow Boy, Big Beef, & Mortgage Lifter

I have a couple more spots & I'm considering-Jetstar, Pink Brandywine, Sweet Chelsea, Celebrity, Solar Fire, & Mr. Stripey-any thoughts or recommendations on these? Also, I'm still searching for Sungold...

• instar8
    16 years ago

Is Christmas grape like Santa grape?

What's a Red zebra? What's black and white and red all over? A sunburned zebra (nobody reads newspapers anymore, at least not all over..do they?)

• harrisphd
    16 years ago

Creole's - They are Jammin!
    Sweet Cluster - Tried and true
    Better Boy, Pineapple, Marianna's Peace , and Big Boy

• phantom_white
    16 years ago

Yet another updated list:
    Striped Cavern (3)
    Roughwood Golden Tiger (2)
    Black from Tula (2)
    Jeff's Mystery Oxheart (4)
    Grandfather Ashlock (4)
    Ponderosa Red (2)
    Ananas Noire (2)
    Cherokee Green (1 or 2)
    Black Cherry (if it decides to grow...) (3)
    Stump of the World (2)
    Dr. Wyches Yellow (2)
    Beefmaster (2)
    Sweet 100's (1)
    Lemon Boy (2)
    Bradley (1)
    Brandywine (1)
    Japanese Trifle Black (2)

I did have Kellogg's Breakfast, but it never germinated.

• kubotabx2200
    16 years ago

Updated List (5/29/2007)

Azoychka
    Beefmaster
    Belgian Giant
    Brandywine
    Jet Star
    Yellow Brandywine

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors