SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfb123_gw

How to pollinate Vigna Caracalla (corkscrew vine)

cfb123
18 years ago

This is for Pat from Pulaski (Hi Pat!) & anyone else who isn't getting SEED PODS on their Vigna Caracalla plants.

This is my 2nd year growing this plant. I only got 3 pods last year. This year BOO-HOO it only produced 1 pod!

Thru research I have found that many people growing this vine experience little if no seed pod development, so I don't feel too bad that I only had 1 this year.

It seems that itsy-bitsy red ants (not "big" ants) are necessary to naturally pollinate this vine. A few other people claim that carpenter bees, flies, little brown butterflies or little "fly-bees" pollinated their vines with great success. Well, I had none of those on my vine that I could tell. Guess I was lucky to have it produce 1 pod! (Anybody want to trade some of their ants for plants next spring?? LOL)

By using either your finger tip, a small paint brush or probably even a Q-tip, you can pollinate it and increase your odds of getting more pods. You want to "dust" pollen from one flower to another flower.

I will pass along 2 great photos posted by "OhioBreezy" on the "Dave's Garden" website. I mention this as I don't want to infringe upon copyrights from that site :-)

Here's the stigma that you'll be transfering pollen to/from:

Here is what will happen when a flower starts to produce a pod:

Hope this helps everyone. I know I'll have my paint brush ready for my vines next year.

Claudia

Comments (6)

Sponsored