SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grullablue

Thinking about 'tropicalizing' my....ok, don't laugh!

grullablue
13 years ago

chicken coop! I have a love..ok, obsession, for all things tropical, but live in southern WI, zone 5. I bought a couple of small musa basjoos recently, and am just waiting for it to warm up enough to plant them outside. My house faces north, and I've just not found a good place to show them off....so I have considered tropicalizing my chicken coop, which sits in our front yard. We have some tropical looking solar lights we put up around there in the summertime....and, well, the bananas would fit right in. But I'd like your ideas on if this would be an ok idea, and where exactly to place them.

I have two small arborvitaes (small, now!) positioned on each side of the door, which I will replant elsewhere. Considered putting them on each side of the door, but afraid they'll block the doorway with their leaves as they get taller. So considered putting them along the fence of the run.... (where the yellow dots are in the pic), so if I do that, I had considered planting some Adam's Needle (color guard perhaps) in place of the arborvitaes, and maybe hanging a basket of another love, persian shield, for the summer months. But very soon I should be able to put my basjoos outside....and I'm still debating on where. If by the chicken coop, do I put them by the door? (red dots?) Or by the fence? If I put them on the north side, (left side of the pic) they may not get enough sunlight...backside, I wouldn't see them, and the right side (house side), only I would really see them.

Comments (13)

Sponsored